Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 09:22 PM

Re: How did you get your first dog/cat?

I got mine when my father brought him home. He was just about six weeks old. He intended it for my sister but he, Rip, stuck with me. Beautifully behaved and obedient.

This is him and the place where we lived.

And maybe why I like collies.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 11:22 PM

He was a lovely dog Besoeker.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 12:39 AM

I have never lived without a dog, except for a few short months when I first got married. We had them throughout my childhood.

One day I went to a famous old London market - Petticoat Lane - to look for a big standard lamp shade.
I never got the lampshade, but came back with a puppy instead, a Boxer pup.
This was the first dog of my very own since leaving home to wed.

In those days they were allowed to sell litters from a basket on a market stall!! Awful to imagine now, isn't it.

This was my pup as he grew up, along with my little son.

Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 03:09 AM

Me and my dog Chubba. My mum got Chubba for me just after the V2's stopped coming and we named him Chubba on the advice of a great uncle who had been in the army in India and apparently "The Chubbarara" was in charge!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 11:16 AM

Our first cat - which is actually a neighbour's cat - just kept appearing, from an early age, on the roof of our shed, which is quite close to our kitchen window. We let him in, soon found out he's got a taste for certain cheeses, parma ham, roast chicken skin, the finer things. He checks out every corner of our house, comes in though downstairs windows if left open, loves tearing up newspapers, spends ages on the shed roof just waiting for signs of activity in our kitchen. And from his favourite vantage point he can spot activity in a number of other back gardens.

some pics ... https://photos.app.goo.gl/MSgtaRzdTthvf3ZY9
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
He was a lovely dog Besoeker.
Thank you, Tiffany. A little better behaved version of Max. Not that Max is badly behaved in any way. Maybe it worked differently. Max was a year old when we got him and we had no prior history so who knows what he went through in his first year........
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have never lived without a dog, except for a few short months when I first got married. We had them throughout my childhood.

One day I went to a famous old London market - Petticoat Lane - to look for a big standard lamp shade.
I never got the lampshade, but came back with a puppy instead, a Boxer pup.
This was the first dog of my very own since leaving home to wed.

In those days they were allowed to sell litters from a basket on a market stall!! Awful to imagine now, isn't it.

This was my pup as he grew up, along with my little son.

That's a nice pic Mups.

It's funny that you mention Petticoat Lane because Mrs LD would always burst into tears when she saw the pups for sale on the stalls. Her parents stopped taking her there in the end.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's a nice pic Mups.

It's funny that you mention Petticoat Lane because Mrs LD would always burst into tears when she saw the pups for sale on the stalls. Her parents stopped taking her there in the end.

Thankyou Dongle.

Is that market still there, I wonder?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
When I was a child I used to nag my mum for a dog but she never gave in. I really loved dogs and I remember calling daily at a house on the road below us that belonged to an elderly lady and she couldn't get out to walk the dog. I used to walk Patch for the lady and I even managed to teach it to 'give paw'
I couldn't tell you what breed it was, probably mongrel but he was a lovely dog.

Eventually mum gave in and agreed to let us have a dog. A breeder of Chihuahuas had just had a litter and Mum took me on to let me choose the one I wanted.

I chose the cutest black and white long haired tiniest pup. I was in love.

I called her Suzy, she was very spoiled, my Mum used to buy her lamb chops! Money was scarce back then so I considered myself very lucky to be able to have a pedigree dog.

I remember taking her for a walk in the fields near us and I let her off the lead, I had all on to find her and was panicking, the grass was so long and I couldn't see her. Luckily, she found me! I remember feeling the relief when she came to me.

Suzy was a very 'brave' girl, when anyone came she would run under the sideboard and bark her little head off LOL, she pretended she was tough ahhhh bless.

Suzy lived to be 16 years old, we were all heartbroken when she died and I will never forget my first dog. RIP Suzy.

As an adult I've kept different breeds, Whippet, Cavalier King Charles and now Kodi who is a Bichon Frise, all wonderful dogs. Snoopy the Cavalier was a very affectionate boy who always wanted to be by my side. Cindy the Whippet was a loonatic and very funny, Kodi is a stubborn little bugger and also very funny and adorable. Yes they all certainly had different personalities. While I have loved all my dogs I have to say Snoopy was the most affectionate, I do miss him curling up by my side. Kodi prefers to come give you a quick lick then bugger off, he does always want to be in the same room however.

I don't ever want to be without a dog. I adore the loyalty and unconditional love they give out.

Thank you for the thread, it's brought wonderful memories.
A lovely story LQ

I can't imagine not having a pet in the house...I've always had cats but I love dogs too .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Our first cat - which is actually a neighbour's cat - just kept appearing, from an early age, on the roof of our shed, which is quite close to our kitchen window. We let him in, soon found out he's got a taste for certain cheeses, parma ham, roast chicken skin, the finer things. He checks out every corner of our house, comes in though downstairs windows if left open, loves tearing up newspapers, spends ages on the shed roof just waiting for signs of activity in our kitchen. And from his favourite vantage point he can spot activity in a number of other back gardens.

some pics ... https://photos.app.goo.gl/MSgtaRzdTthvf3ZY9
Gorgeous...king of the Castle a typical Mr Ginger Tom

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top