Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 05:21 PM

Tragic Horses

I have complained times to the RSPCA about these
horses dumped to look after themselves.

They are in fields next to the River Nene and they are flooded very easily, it's always been the same.

As usual, bugger all has been done to save them.

They have no dry land left to lay down anymore.
What isn't actually under water, is thick mud well over their pasterns.

Some kind members of the public have been dropping small hay bales over to them because they have nothing to eat anymore.

There are other ponies in less accessible fields, again where the river runs through, and vehicles can't get to these to get food in.

Petitions have been made, many many people have complained, the local vets have been keeping an eye on them, yet still the RSPCA have done bugger all.
It makes me sooooo mad.

Now look what has happened! And can you believe - they are still left there!!!

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk...nkment-1555287
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 05:24 PM

Re: Tragic Horses

Here is another young pony, still feeding from it's Mum, stuck neck high in mud.
I could weep buckets over this poor youngster.

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk...-water-1387008
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 05:27 PM

Mups, is there a Horse Rescue anywhere near you?

If so they may be able to help or advise you...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-02-2020, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Mups, is there a Horse Rescue anywhere near you?

If so they may be able to help or advise you...

Not nearby as far as I know, Mags.
I am not sure of the legalities, but I have a feeling that if they belong to owners, they cannot just be taken without consent. It could be seen as theft or stealing.

You see all the rubbish on telly about the RSPCA taking dogs away from people, so why not those poor horses!

Everyone is of the opinion they are gipsy animals, but of course, no one will actually own up to being the owner as I suppose they will be in trouble. They all say with a shrug - "not mine, not mine".

One good thing to come out of this tragedy, is thousands of people are aware of their plight now, so I believe pressure will be put on authorites at last.

I admit I am worried about the storm this weekend, as the fields are already flooded, so what will be they be like by Sunday.

It might help if the landowner kicked them out, but again, do they know the real owner even?

I think and hope there will be big trouble now it has finally made the papers.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 05:43 PM

That's dreadful Mups! So sad!
I hope whoever owned those horses vdts dealt with severely.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 06:40 PM

https://www.redwings.org.uk/

Fantastic charity, often step in when RSPCA are unwilling or able to.

Even if there are legal complications they always investigate.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 06:51 PM

Disgusting isn't it. I hear so many stories about the RSPCA not offering any help when asked. I also thought they had the power to remove animals if they were badly treated or in danger. I suppose they are far too busy making adverts and taking our donations. As for the police, they couldn't give a **** about anything other than enforcing diversity.

I have signed the petition.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 09:37 PM

This explains the legal side.

https://www.redwings.org.uk/news-and...statement-2019

Charities must work within the law and have NO legal power to remove horses without an owner’s consent. Horses can only be removed under the Animal Welfare Act by police, local authority appointed inspectors or appointed staff from the APHA (In Scotland the SSPCA inspectors have these powers) and only with the approval of a veterinary surgeon. If the appointed veterinary surgeon does not approve removal the animals must, by law, remain in situ with attending charities then only able to monitor the situation.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-02-2020, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.redwings.org.uk/

Fantastic charity, often step in when RSPCA are unwilling or able to.

Even if there are legal complications they always investigate.

Thanks Cinders.

I do know a little about Redwings, but unfortunately they haven't a branch anywhere near me.

Maybe I could ring them for advice though?
They may well already be aware of these ponies.

Looks like I was right though, and it's all to do with legalities and red tape! Bloody disgusting.

They are going to be swimming if they are left in those river fields over this weekend.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 02:20 AM

This is terrible those poor animals .
Would the police do anything ?
Cruelty to animals is still an offence in the U.K. .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top