Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:19 PM

Re: 'iconic,' blue post-Brexit passports made in Poland by French-Dutch co

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So basically it's not about taking back control at all. That was all a big con was it not? We had globalisation before and international manufacturing but voters here expected British manufacturing and British jobs. What a lark!

Wrong again annie

We get to make all our own decisions take control of our laws and make our own trade arrangements with the world.

The EU is a protectionist bloc it does not support globalisation at all. That's part of the reason we left.

And we have full employment in tbe UK the EU does not have anywhere near that.

If I were you I would work out what globalisation and protectionism is... just saying
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We aren't sending any workers back to the EU so far 99% of them have qualified for settled status.

We aren't producing blue passports because there are companies set up already that produce our passports, regardless of colour. They produce passports for loads of other countries too - brexit is not about closing the UK off to the rest of the world it's about globalization. The past is the protectionist fantasy of the EU that we just left. The ideology that you want to remain in.
Hi

We have a company here in the UK which already produces Passports.

There was never any requirement to change the blue passport to burgundy.

As for protectionism, the two most protectionist Countries in the World are the USA and China.

We need to invest in our Industries, and Government Contracts are one way of doing this.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have a company here in the UK which already produces Passports.

There was never any requirement to change the blue passport to burgundy.

As for protectionism, the two most protectionist Countries in the World are the USA and China.

We need to invest in our Industries, and Government Contracts are one way of doing this.
The change to burgundy wasn't just about the colour it was to include the European Union lettering on it too.

It's also a lot cheaper than making them here
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Did we have to negotiate that deal?....
Or are they doing it out of their good nature......
I reckon they're doing it in a feeble attempt to try to keep some sort of control over us.

I can just see this coming up at some future trade negotiation: "pay us through the nose or we'll stop supplying your passports"!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:29 PM

I don't have a passport. Looking at how much is charged for one it surprises me that a UK company was not allowed to produce them, even if a foreign company could do that cheaper. At least that would have shown that we are prepared to use UK companies rather than foreign ones. Doing that would also keep our industries going and our workers in jobs.

https://www.gov.uk/passport-fees
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Wrong again annie

We get to make all our own decisions take control of our laws and make our own trade arrangements with the world.

The EU is a protectionist bloc it does not support globalisation at all. That's part of the reason we left.

And we have full employment in tbe UK the EU does not have anywhere near that.

If I were you I would work out what globalisation and protectionism is... just saying
I know all about globalisation thanks, but I don't see how that is compatible with us being a manufacturing giant or how leaving the EU helps any ordinary folk living here if it means jobs are just going abroad. Most here thought that if we leave the EU we will end up as a protectionist bloc of our own. If you think otherwise then you have been sleeping. I do not think anyone here voted leave so that we would sell ourselves and our jobs to the wider global market. I expected that to happen but I doubt many leave voters did. So what we will end up with is the same situation with poorer conditions and fewer options. Frying pan - fire.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I don't have a passport. Looking at how much is charged for one it surprises me that a UK company was not allowed to produce them, even if a foreign company could do that cheaper. At least that would have shown that we are prepared to use UK companies rather than foreign ones. Doing that would also keep our industries going and our workers in jobs.

Exactly. This is just the start of what we will see in the future. British jobs? Well they will be non existent if everything is contracted to global manufacturing. I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise. The future = more of our goods and services imported. But we will have even less control. How many voters agreed to this contract being abroad? Zilch.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-02-2020, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I reckon they're doing it in a feeble attempt to try to keep some sort of control over us.

I can just see this coming up at some future trade negotiation: "pay us through the nose or we'll stop supplying your passports"!
Really? You think that our government had no say in this contract? Dream on!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

Hi

A great post.

The cost of a Passport is a fraction of what they charge for one.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-02-2020, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A great post.

The cost of a Passport is a fraction of what they charge for one.
that is our future post brexit. We will have to pay through the nose for everything that we cannot produce ourselves. Tell me we have the infrastructure here and that British producers will do this at a lower rate? But why would they?

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top