Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:59 PM

Overseas Aid

Hi

Boris has announced his review of Defence and Foreign Policy.

He is maintain the current level of overseas aid at 0.7 % of GDP.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 04:09 PM

Re: Overseas Aid

Personally, I think that's far too high a level. 0.3-0.4% would be much better imho, as it releases something in the region of £7B. This could be better spent on training more nurses, doctors, teachers and policemen.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 04:33 PM

Surely we should be putting all resources into our own country, sorting ourselves out with NHS . Emergency services hospitals police etc first .

To which countries are we giving this ' spare ' money too and why ?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 04:37 PM

That's the problem Susan. There are instances where this money has found its way into the pockets of certain African leaders, given to projects in countries that have space and nuclear programmes (China, India, Pakistan, etc)
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 04:41 PM

More funding for Indias space program ....

Great .....

not !
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Surely we should be putting all resources into our own country, sorting ourselves out with NHS . Emergency services hospitals police etc first .

To which countries are we giving this ' spare ' money too and why ?
Its feel good money, Susan! and our leaders think it gives us
prestige? UK is big on prestige!
Donkeyman!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
That's the problem Susan. There are instances where this money has found its way into the pockets of certain African leaders, given to projects in countries that have space and nuclear programmes (China, India, Pakistan, etc)
... Trade deals too.

This overseas aid budget has always been "diplomats" pocket money. The system has worked well AFAIK ... but now we are out of the block we might need more brown enveloping.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 09:14 PM

I don't think anyone has the balls to stop it. Perhaps there are reasons unknown to us although I can't think of any. Boris & Co must surely know that the vast majority of Brits want to reduce Aid if not stop it all together. I can't blame Boris for the bad weather but I can blame him for this. I thought he was made of tougher stuff tbh.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 09:54 PM

Some answers to my own questions were found here. Questions such as where does this aid go, which countries receive it etc.?

"The five biggest recipients of bilateral aid are Pakistan, Syria, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Afghanistan. When it comes to continents, significantly more gets spent in Africa (51%) and Asia (42%) than anywhere else."

Perhaps others may also wish to read this information on the link below:

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-spending-foreign-aid/
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 10:02 PM

Is it really humanitarian aid or political influence ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top