Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 09:56 AM

Re: Overseas Aid

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
100% political in my opinion. It is so the government has leverage when they want something from the country that has received UK financial aid.

A good example of this is India. For decades the UK has given millions in aid to India and back in 2011, India put out to tender to replace their ageing fighter jets. The UK is heavily invested in the Euro fighter and thus the UK government was supremely confident due to it's overseas aid ties with India that India would chose the Eurofighter as it's replacement. India chose a French made plane instead, the UK government were extremely angry.

Yet even still, the UK continues to give aid to India, a country that invests heavily in its own space program and military and thereby ignoring the impoverish conditions many of it's citizens live in.
It doesn't surprise me. Why, then, if this 'bribery' doesn't work are we still giving billions in foreign aid to India?

Perhaps we should keep the money and use it to make more attractive offers when we want to sell something?

It begs the question, too. Do third world countries see us as 'decent' and generous, or are we regarded as fools?

Foreign aid should be stopped, except for actual emergencies. Our people are in greater need than the corrupt leaders of foreign countries. I'm surprised that Boris hasn't stepped in yet, especially as he is otherwise making all the right moves (except for HS2, of course).
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It doesn't surprise me. Why, then, if this 'bribery' doesn't work are we still giving billions in foreign aid to India?

Perhaps we should keep the money and use it to make more attractive offers when we want to sell something?

It begs the question, too. Do third world countries see us as 'decent' and generous, or are we regarded as fools?

Foreign aid should be stopped, except for actual emergencies. Our people are in greater need than the corrupt leaders of foreign countries. I'm surprised that Boris hasn't stepped in yet, especially as he is otherwise making all the right moves (except for HS2, of course).
Hi

We are not giving £Billions to India.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Overseas hand outs should have ended years ago.

Same with the adverts begging for "poor endangered kids" - they should be banned. All that results in is subsidising wars and non sustainable life styles. In both cases totally counter productive.

As for the recent bunch about saving girls from FGM - great idea but the only way that will be done is eliminating Islam.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 12:02 PM

Perhaps our age group is in the minority when it comes to stopping Aid. If you look at past online petitions, they usually attract just a couple of hundred signatures, compare that to the thousands who sign for other subjects like climate change or the name of a ship. Perhaps we are just too far infiltrated now. I get the feeling that young people think it is okay to embrace everyone, whatever the long term cost.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We are not giving £Billions to India.
Oh, I see.

How much did we give them last year?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Perhaps our age group is in the minority when it comes to stopping Aid. If you look at past online petitions, they usually attract just a couple of hundred signatures, compare that to the thousands who sign for other subjects like climate change or the name of a ship. Perhaps we are just too far infiltrated now. I get the feeling that young people think it is okay to embrace everyone, whatever the long term cost.
I get the feeling that young people are in for a bit of a shock when they're older - and wiser!

Young people have always laboured under the misapprehension that they know everything, but I remember the days when young people respected their elders, their experience and their advice.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I get the feeling that young people are in for a bit of a shock when they're older - and wiser!

Young people have always laboured under the misapprehension that they know everything, but I remember the days when young people respected their elders, their experience and their advice.

I suppose so. I remember I thought I knew it all.... I still do.

Apparently Britain gives India around £98M - about the same amount they spend on their space programme.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-02-2020, 03:14 PM

I suppose so. I remember I thought I knew it all.... I still do.
Ah, but you know much more now than you did!

Apparently Britain gives India around £98M - about the same amount they spend on their space programme.
Well, I suppose some would say that that adds up, so it must be OK!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 03:37 PM

It would be an interesting project for some enterprising journalist or institute or think tank to work out just how much African, Middle Eastern, and other countries have received in foreign aid and similar payments since they gained independence from their respective Colonial powers, or the last 60 years or so
Such as foreign aid payments from Western countries; The UN; and Charities - it must run into billions

Then ask why those countries are still in the mess they're in

Like it or not, I'm getting rather tired and cold blooded about this when I see the begging adverts on TV - it would be interesting, and almost certainly revealing, to see just how much income and funds these charities have

I would have thought that if you live in some shit-hole of a country, with hardly any food, dirty water, a corrupt government, and a civil war that's been going on for years, the last thing you should be doing is making more babies

If I had my way I would reduce foreign aid to just about zero
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
... As for the recent bunch about saving girls from FGM - great idea but the only way that will be done is eliminating Islam.
Islam does not call for young girls to be mutilated like that. In fact, the vast majority of main stream Muslims denounce the practise as barbaric. FGM is part of certain local African cultures and has nothing at all to do with religion, at least that's what my good friends Mustapha Phagg and Bomber Aris (both Malaysian Muslims) told me.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top