Join for free
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 01:09 PM

Free public transport

Is this the way to go in our crowded cities?

https://www.dw.com/en/luxembourg-mak...ree/a-52582998
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 01:20 PM

Re: Free public transport

Yes, but who would pay and also who pays in Luxembourg?
I find my taxes are high enough as it is and with council tax about to rise again in my area, any more would see yet more poverty.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 01:21 PM

I would love to see that happening....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 02:10 PM

It's the way to go if money is no object and the sole priority is eco-friendliness.

Don't see how it's feasible myself.
Aside from the cost to provide the service itself what happens at the loss of revenue from reduced car usage (assuming there are still cars) ....less cars = less road tax, fuel duty and all the other satellite industries such as insurance et al.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 04:08 PM

It would be great if we could do that but it will never happen because Britain's whole existence is based on greed. Presumably you would still have to drive in if you lived out of town.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2020, 04:11 PM

We already use our free bus passes to the max so our car journeys are usually limited to one 6½mile round trip to Tesco each week.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 09:17 PM

The idea will not work in the UK because unfortunately the UK has a growing number of what people call the 'underclass' and it is very common within the underclass that if something is free then it's open to severe abuse.

Public transport in the UK already suffers from a lot of damaged caused by the 'underclass' and it would only get worse if it to become totally free.

Many will also resent having their taxes raised to pay for free public transport because they are in a job where they a) cannot get to work via public transport due to the time of day their employer expects them to start and b) public transport not going anywhere near to the place where they work which results in them requiring a car to get to work but yet still have to pay via their taxes free public transport.

Therefore, for such a system to work in the UK, the whole public transport system would need a complete change from top to bottom which would cost billions to implement. HS2, the high speed train that is supposed to be a high speed rail line that links the north and south is already over £100 billion in costs and that's just ONE rail line. Overhauling the countries complete public transport system to make free public transport feasible could reach into the mega billions, in my opinion.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2020, 08:24 AM

I think train travel should be nationalised and possibly subsidised .
It’s outrageously expensive.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top