Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2020, 06:54 AM

Flybe

Hi

It has gone bankrupt, a very important regional airline,

The Governments statement is that they cannot help as still bound by EU Rules until the end of this year.

Complete Bollox, there is nothing the EU could have done, it would take years to come to the ECJ.

So much for levelling up and supporting the Regions..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2020, 08:18 AM

Re: Flybe

There is a lot of teetering going on in business, that is the nature of the competition.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2020, 09:48 AM

They have been struggling for quite a while now but this new virus panic was the final straw for them, but I think Flybe will be just the first of many travel and holiday companies to fail in the next few months as people stop travelling and booking holidays.

These are private companies though, and although some are essential for the regions maybe yhere will be enough slack in the system now for other companies to take over the routes?

Either way it would be a dangerous precedent for the government to bail out a company as every other failing company would demand the same. It must be up to business to serve the demand, not the taxpayer.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2020, 10:25 AM

If a private company can't run at a profit then they deserve to go under. Why should us tax payers bail them out? If my business didn't suceed I would not expect the tax payer to help me out.

There is no excuse for bad management it is the staff that suffer. No doubt the directore have ring fenced their pensions the same as the old Jessops management did (I knew one of them). They are in a position to see what is going to happen staff can't.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2020, 05:01 PM

Logan Air has taken on FlyBe's routes so it will need more staff and planes.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2020, 05:27 PM

Flybe were bailed out in February of last year.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2020, 07:00 PM

Rather than just sticking with what they know best and let the money come in, they over extended themselves into other business avenues because the bosses/owners/shareholders thought why stop there, lets do more and it's the more that has backfired on Flybe.

It's the same the whole world other, companies are making a profit but rather than just stick to what they are doing and let the money collect in the bank, they get greedy and want more. They then take massive risks which backfire and the result is they go bankrupt and it is the shop floor employees who suffer. You never see a company director of these large companies struggle to live.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2020, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Yes they've taken on some of the routes and the government is working with other airlines to cover some more as a matter of urgency, so hopefully the regions will still be served.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Rather than just sticking with what they know best and let the money come in, they over extended themselves into other business avenues because the bosses/owners/shareholders thought why stop there, lets do more and it's the more that has backfired on Flybe.

It's the same the whole world other, companies are making a profit but rather than just stick to what they are doing and let the money collect in the bank, they get greedy and want more. They then take massive risks which backfire and the result is they go bankrupt and it is the shop floor employees who suffer. You never see a company director of these large companies struggle to live.
I agree Dodge.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->

They have only taken up two routes though, (Aberdeen and Inverness) out of 14
The loss of Flybe is pretty devastating for NI, it was our main regional airline. I am gutted, it is our nearest airport and I will particularly miss the London City route, as will many business commuters.
I hope another carrier will step in but who knows what will happen now with this bloody virus
I wish someone would reinstate the Belfast City to Gatwick route, which Flybe used to do years ago, then Aerlingus took it up but BA axed it a few years ago when they took over Aerlingus, presumably because they wanted the landing slots for themselves...

Whatever, Easyjet who fly from Belfast International will benefit from this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top