Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 01:22 PM

Re: When they say 'self-isolate'....

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Susan I think you should be fine walking your dog in fields as long as you are not touching surfaces that might be contaminated like metal gates. Wash your hands when getting home and keep a distance when talking to anyone.

I will continue to walk to Chloe in the fields.

I intend to meet up with my son and the toddler twins in the nature reserve if restrictions on contact are brought in keeping a distance and not touching.

I am already distancing myself from people partly because I have had a chest infection for some time something I get frequently through the winter and my coughing and sneezing is not socially acceptable at this time but I am also at high risk if I catch C19. I have totted up my comorbidities which total 5 .

Not too worried about distance when dog walking in early hours as I said its often just me and the dog and as I'm using a mobility scooter (my knees are really bad right now) I can easily whizz off in another direction if I do see anyone enter the field or coming the opposite direction on the same road/path.

My dog has a bit of a reputation for not being good with other dogs so people don't tend to get close enough to stand and chat anyway, just wave or say morning/how do from the other side of the road (even when I do go out in 'sociable daylight hours')

It was more a worry I maybe 'breaking rules' if the country was put in lock down and I decided to sneak out early hours to make sure the dog got the exercise they needed! ..but maybe I'm interpreting 'self-isolating' and 'lockdown' too literally???

Susan
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 01:52 PM

Short of a nuclear attack nothing would stop me taking my dog for a walk.
My legs would seize up for one thing, so we both need exercise every day. I will just avoid people, nothing new there!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think walking the dog out in the open will be all that dangerous for you susan, and it doesn't matter how careful you are, it's the people entering your house (Friends, relatives and loved ones) that could inadvertently be infecting you, that's what you should be careful of.
Schoolchildren pass these things around like wildfire and because they are young and strong don't always have any symptoms.
That sounds like good common sense to me OGF?
Susan allready has a plan for relatives to drop her shopping off
at her front door, and she can communicate with her smart phone
if she needs any assistance etc?
But there will be those who dont have anybody to help them at all!
I think organisations like age uk should make efforts to contact
these people somehow to ensure they can call for assistance if
needed?

Donkeyman! 🙄🙄🙄
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Short of a nuclear attack nothing would stop me taking my dog for a walk.
My legs would seize up for one thing, so we both need exercise every day. I will just avoid people, nothing new there!
me too! ...but I was worried if they introduce fines or prison for those 'breaking quarantine' as they have in some countries, ...if we did have to experience a serious lockdown in the next month or so so was trying to find clarification on what they were meaning by certain terms!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
me too! ...but I was worried if they introduce fines or prison for those 'breaking quarantine' as they have in some countries, ...if we did have to experience a serious lockdown in the next month or so so was trying to find clarification on what they were meaning by certain terms!
I can't see them levying fines because they do not have the systems in place to turn it around so fast. I think they will trust people to be sensible and I believe most Brits will want to work together to get rid of this nasty bug. I'd envisage their main concerns will be security if businesses close down and looting etc may be a risk. Let's hope we don't end up in such a nightmare scenario.

I see that the budget has frozen duty on booze so if people self isolate they can "self medicate" without paying extra tax.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:26 PM

Hi Susan I wouldn't worry about it, I think self-isolation aimed at preventing the spread of infection between those in close proximity and shouldn't be a great concern for people walking dogs in fields. I don't envisage a policeman in every field
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Susan I wouldn't worry about it, I think self-isolation aimed at preventing the spread of infection between those in close proximity and shouldn't be a great concern for people walking dogs in fields. I don't envisage a policeman in every field
I thought self isolation was for people tested as positive to Coronavirus, not people who haven't got it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:31 PM

We are naturally quite stand offish !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
Not too worried about distance when dog walking in early hours as I said its often just me and the dog and as I'm using a mobility scooter (my knees are really bad right now) I can easily whizz off in another direction if I do see anyone enter the field or coming the opposite direction on the same road/path.

My dog has a bit of a reputation for not being good with other dogs so people don't tend to get close enough to stand and chat anyway, just wave or say morning/how do from the other side of the road (even when I do go out in 'sociable daylight hours')

It was more a worry I maybe 'breaking rules' if the country was put in lock down and I decided to sneak out early hours to make sure the dog got the exercise they needed! ..but maybe I'm interpreting 'self-isolating' and 'lockdown' too literally???

Susan
Susan I anticipate special provisions will be made for those who are in a particularly vulnerable situation like yourself something on the lines of online ordering of groceries with free deliveries.

My biggest worry is getting my repeat medication, missing a dose could have severe consequences. I usually have to queue up in the doctors surgery pharmacy for half an hour a real hazard to infection. I hope they can do something about that too.
I did look at having meds delivered by someone like
Pharmacy2U but decided against it for a number of reasons.
Susan68
Up North, UK

11-03-2020, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I thought self isolation was for people tested as positive to Coronavirus, not people who haven't got it.
I thought there was talk of asking all people 'at risk' (70 years + and relevant medical issues) to self isolate or anyway in the next week or so regardless of whether they actually have it or not?

And if the country has a 'lockdown' ...is that EVERY SINGLE person in the whole of the UK? ..or only those living in cities such as London, Birmingham etc? (just tube/trams/trains/work places shutting down etc)

This is why I wasn't sure what they are meaning by their definitions ..if it turned into a really serious pandemic situation with most of country getting hit with it?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top