Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:42 PM

Re: When they say 'self-isolate'....

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I thought self isolation was for people tested as positive to Coronavirus, not people who haven't got it.
Hi Tiff that is so , Susan mentions 'if things get worse' in her post.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
I thought there was talk of asking all people 'at risk' (70 years + and relevant medical issues) to self isolate or anyway in the next week or so regardless of whether they actually have it or not?
Hi Susan there is and I think that action is just days away.
It was said last night on Newsnight they don't want to do it soon because it may be necessary to have it in force for some time .
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I thought self isolation was for people tested as positive to Coronavirus, not people who haven't got it.
Yes, that's true, but for some non-infected people: elderly, un-well etc they may wish to avoid the virus by hiding out.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Tiff that is so , Susan mentions 'if things get worse' in her post.
How do you knowyou havent got it if you have not been tested?

Donkeyman!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

11-03-2020, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
How do you knowyou havent got it if you have not been tested?

Donkeyman!
Hi DM you don't ....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 03:21 PM

If you feel you might have it. Symptoms on line. You ring NHS 111 & ask for advice.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20479963
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Susan I anticipate special provisions will be made for those who are in a particularly vulnerable situation like yourself something on the lines of online ordering of groceries with free deliveries.

My biggest worry is getting my repeat medication, missing a dose could have severe consequences. I usually have to queue up in the doctors surgery pharmacy for half an hour a real hazard to infection. I hope they can do something about that too.
I did look at having meds delivered by someone like
Pharmacy2U but decided against it for a number of reasons.

I do already get food deliveries, usually fortnightly and usually pick a 'free slot' midweek. I'm currently in the middle of a free 'smart pass trial' with one supermarket

Prescriptions are another area of concern for me too ...I have meds delivered but they have to be signed for which means opening the door and the guy handing them to me and a book thing I have to sign to say I received them.... even using a videophone thingy to speak to people outside the door, they wouldn't be able to leave them outside the door like a food shop would, because the meds require a signature.

When my prescription runs out they require a blood test before they will issue a new one ..My annual review/blood test is due but I'm not risking my health sitting in a GP surgery but even a community nurse coming to take my blood may not be completely safe...how do I know they haven't come into contact with from another patient who lives with others? ..before coming into my home to stick a needle in me!!

I can refuse a blood test but they can also refuse to write a new prescription until I have had one and they can see if the dosage needs changing..so what do you do? will they make provisions for that and allow a temporary extension of prescription until it's safe for me to get one without risk of contamination? I have medical exemption and have been some of them (the meds) from very early childhood, so some are meds that are 'needed to live'.

So I am getting a bit more worried about the situation as it seems to be getting more serious (and more chance of it getting serious in our country and life threatening to me)
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 04:38 PM

I can't self-isolate. I live on my own, and thus I have to do my own shopping and errands using public transport, plus I have to visit my mother a couple of times a week to keep an eye on her.

There's no way supermarkets and the like can deliver food orders to everybody because they don't have either the staff or the transport capacity to do so. Also what happens if/when all their staff and drivers start reporting in sick as well? What about jobs where people HAVE to work face-to-face as part of their job - do they expect Care Workers to start self-isolating, because if they do a lot of vulnerable, elderly and/or infirm people will be left completely without support, trapped in their own homes.

In reality, we just have to grit our teeth and get on with things as best we can.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 06:32 PM

I think self isolation is aimed more at people to stop moving around so much and not congregate in large numbers to prevent the spread, or at least to contain it in small areas.

It is passed from person to person, so keeping people separated from each other prevents the virus going out of control. Like any other virus, I can't see it spreading to the majority, especially now we are taking precautions to avoid the spread.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 01:34 AM

Mr M and I are self isolating .
We have just come through Hong Kong and spent nearly all of our time in Australia on the Gold Coast ( where Tom Hanks has caught it )
I don’t feel too well but this could be jet lag .
Keeping fingers crossed .

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top