Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 06:20 PM

Re: No Cash Payments

I have a couple of cards but a pin is needed, I don't do contactless. I would rather handle cash than touch one of those keypads, I think, hmmm but maybe I could key in my pin using my little finger. I'm less likely to inadvertently touch my face with little finger ....
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I have a couple of cards but a pin is needed, I don't do contactless. I would rather handle cash than touch one of those keypads, I think, hmmm but maybe I could key in my pin using my little finger. I'm less likely to inadvertently touch my face with little finger ....
Suggestion. When shopping with a card that requires a PIN, use the eraser end of a pencil. That's what I do.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Suggestion. When shopping with a card that requires a PIN, use the eraser end of a pencil. That's what I do.
Good plan!
I've got one of those little rubber ended phone poker things somewhere, I'll have to find it!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
fair enough in shops they have computers etc but how do I pay my window cleaner and gardener who usually want cash (plus a tip!)

what about smaller purchases ..like when you just call in the local shop for a newspaper and a pint of milk while your walking the dog. Not everybody likes to have to carry their cards everywhere.
Good points Susan. We use cabs a fair bit. They generally expect a cash payment. But not a lot else requires it.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 09:04 PM

A shop owner, or a tradesman, or any other business have the right to set what form of payment are willing to take for their goods or services. If you don't like it, you have the right to go somewhere else. If the shop owner make big mistakes of judgement they go out of business.

There are many reasons for not wanting to use cash. First of all, it is filthy. Secondly, you will never be held up for your credit card receipts, thirdly your employees have a harder time slipping a fiver in their pockets, bookkeeping is far simpler and you don't have to go to the bank daily with a bag of cash. We are transitioning to a cashless society, withing a few years using bank notes will be as obsolete as trading with gold or eggs. It is progress.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 09:23 PM

Yeah ... good plan

(... comes after years of perfecting my nifty two fingered feel of the upper end of the pin pad hitting four numbers faster than the human eye can register)

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

14-03-2020, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
A shop owner, or a tradesman, or any other business have the right to set what form of payment are willing to take for their goods or services. If you don't like it, you have the right to go somewhere else. If the shop owner make big mistakes of judgement they go out of business.

There are many reasons for not wanting to use cash. First of all, it is filthy. Secondly, you will never be held up for your credit card receipts, thirdly your employees have a harder time slipping a fiver in their pockets, bookkeeping is far simpler and you don't have to go to the bank daily with a bag of cash. We are transitioning to a cashless society, withing a few years using bank notes will be as obsolete as trading with gold or eggs. It is progress.
... not so good for those with bags of cash to launder.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 09:29 PM

Not a good idea for me because I always end up chewing the rubber bit.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yeah ... good plan

(... comes after years of perfecting my nifty two fingered feel of the upper end of the pin pad hitting four numbers faster than the human eye can register)

I wonder if the five second rule still applies?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-03-2020, 09:34 PM

Cabs now accept card payments and even my window cleaner is paid automatically online when the job is done.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top