Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 09:48 AM

Re: No Cash Payments

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I have a couple of cards but a pin is needed, I don't do contactless.
With contactless, you don't touch anything other than your own card.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I have a couple of cards but a pin is needed, I don't do contactless. I would rather handle cash than touch one of those keypads, I think, hmmm but maybe I could key in my pin using my little finger. I'm less likely to inadvertently touch my face with little finger ....
Not that long ago I too would not use contactless, now though after using it for paying parking fees in the town centre multi-storey car park, I now find it very convenient to pay for anything under £30. All you really have to do is to remember you are still spending money, despite how easy this procedure is. No PIN number is required either which is ideal for what is presently happening with this Coronavirus.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not that long ago I too would not use contactless, now though after using it for paying parking fees in the town centre multi-storey car park, I now find it very convenient to pay for anything under £30. All you really have to do is to remember you are still spending money, despite how easy this procedure is. No PIN number is required either which is ideal for what is presently happening with this Coronavirus.
Also easy for someone to walk past you with a card reader and swipe the money straight out of your account!

I'm not keen on contactless either but was told as soon as I used my new card in a chip and pin machine or cash machine it activated the contactless facility anyway, so even if you never use it someone passing with a card reader can then access your account
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
Also easy for someone to walk past you with a card reader and swipe the money straight out of your account!

I'm not keen on contactless either but was told as soon as I used my new card in a chip and pin machine or cash machine it activated the contactless facility anyway, so even if you never use it someone passing with a card reader can then access your account
You can get those wallets for your contactless card Susan that can't be hacked by passing scum.....And the range is so small that they would have to touch you to read your card. Sometimes even the machine has trouble.
And a pint of milk or a newspaper can be paid for quickly and without risk of catching anything...
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->

I was always wary of this too, until a person working in John Lewis explained how contactless works. There are mixed views on whether or not a contactless card can be compromised by a card reader at a distance.

This link shows what are said to be the myths and realities of contactless fraud:

https://www.paymentscardsandmobile.com/21221-2/

"Fraud 'extremely rare'
Despite security measures, contactless card fraud in the UK last year resulted in losses, although relatively small, of £13,700, according to industry association Financial Fraud Action UK."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24743920
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 10:40 PM

That's true Baz, I have been using contactless for a while now but the other day I paid contactless and it asked me for my pin number to complete the transaction. So every now and then you have to use your pin even with contactless.
Baz46

17-03-2020, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's true Baz, I have been using contactless for a while now but the other day I paid contactless and it asked me for my pin number to complete the transaction. So every now and then you have to use your pin even with contactless.
That has not happened to me yet so thanks for the warning about this. I started using contactless when the local shopping centre introduced it for their multi-storey car park. Swipe the card to get in and then out again by paying using contactless. Prior to that I had paid for parking two hours (£2.00) but the machine at the exit reckoned I had not paid. No more coins, no way of getting out and no help arrived when 'Help' button pressed – I was trapped. Then I noticed 'Pay by contactless card' so gave it a try and could then exit the car park.

That happened when an emergency had been announced to clear the shopping centre. Very worrying when you cannot get out in the car from what could have been a bomb threat or anything else! It took me a while to even use that car park again but I did finally conquer the negative feelings that previous experience left me with.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Don't forget you are only allowed 3 contactless payments per day. It's security so if anyone pinched your card, the most they could withdraw is £90.

I would think the reason it asked for your pin number Foxy, is either because you had used it three times already, or some shops don't have the contactless facility.

I was at my vets yesterday, and they had hand sanitizers on the walls we can use now, and also notices in the waiting room saying they are only going to accept card payments now too.l

Went in a shop on the way home to get something for my lunch, and they wouldn't accept card payment for less than a fiver.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2020, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Went in a shop on the way home to get something for my lunch, and they wouldn't accept card payment for less than a fiver.
Probably because of bank charges, Mups. Every card transaction is charged at least 2½% of the total bill unless the shop is the size of Tesco et al.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top