Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 10:57 AM

Re: Body Temp Thermometers

I have a Braun ear type thermometer that was bought last November and the price was £37.99 delivered, but I looked this morning and they are more than double that, probably due to profiteering.
It is very accurate (checked against mercury clinical type) and has disposable ear probe covers, so completely hygienic.

When all this virus malarkey is over, there will be a glut of thermometers because most people will by then have found one and bought it and the stockists will have shelves full of stock they can't shift.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 11:13 AM

I tried desperately to get a decent simple thermometer a few years ago and was told the EU had banned them because of the mercury which is dangerous. I have used one for over 50 years on man and animal with no problems .

Now I have an expensive gadget which runs on a battery and never works when needed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 03:55 PM

I have never owned a thermometer. The only thing I do have is one of those spikey things you stab the chicken with (it came with my BBQ). Obviously I didn't fancy stabbing it into my backside so I tried putting the end under my tongue......... It didn't work.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have never owned a thermometer. The only thing I do have is one of those spikey things you stab the chicken with (it came with my BBQ). Obviously I didn't fancy stabbing it into my backside so I tried putting the end under my tongue......... It didn't work.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 04:03 PM

I bought a digitall thermometer a couple of years ago in Sainsbury's but haven't had reason to use it yet
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I tried desperately to get a decent simple thermometer a few years ago and was told the EU had banned them because of the mercury which is dangerous. I have used one for over 50 years on man and animal with no problems .

Now I have an expensive gadget which runs on a battery and never works when needed.
In all it's wisdom the usa started outlawing mercury thermometers in 2001. The EU followed suit in 2009. Mercury in the human body causes chronic brain damage. How long did you use yours?
And what happened with your specimen that you needed a new one?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
In all it's wisdom the usa started outlawing mercury thermometers in 2001. The EU followed suit in 2009. Mercury in the human body causes chronic brain damage. How long did you use yours?
And what happened with your specimen that you needed a new one?
That's where the expression "as mad as a hatter" comes from. Quote from Wiki: "It is believed to emanate from Denton, Tameside in the North of England where men in the area predominantly worked in the hattery business which used mercury in the hat making process."
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 04:31 PM

I used to have 4 or 5 of the black strips that you place on you forehead and they changed colour if you had a temperature. They came free with some product but I've forgotten what that was. I frequently used them on the children mainly.

EDIT ..... they were very similar to these which are still available.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tempe...SABEgLLcPD_BwE
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I used to have 4 or 5 of the black strips that you place on you forehead and they changed colour if you had a temperature. They came free with some product but I've forgotten what that was. I frequently used them on the children mainly.
Crackers! Not you, where they came from.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

18-03-2020, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Crackers! Not you, where they came from.
Nah! See edit above.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top