Join for free
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 03:52 PM

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just received this message from the NHS.
It maybe of help to those who want questions answered.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)
COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It's caused by a virus called coronavirus.

Stay at home to stop coronavirus spreading
Everyone must stay at home to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

This includes people of all ages – even if you do not have any symptoms or other health conditions.

You can only leave your home:

to shop for basic essentials – only when you really need to
to do one form of exercise a day – such as a run, walk or cycle, alone or with other people you live with
for any medical need – for example, to visit a pharmacy or deliver essential supplies to a vulnerable person
to travel to and from work – but only where this is absolutely necessary
What to do if you have coronavirus symptoms
Continue to stay at home if you have either:

a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
To protect others, do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Stay at home.

Use the 111 online coronavirus service to find out what to do.

Use the 111 coronavirus service
Information:
Only call 111 if you cannot get help online.

What to do if you need medical help for another reason
If you need medical help not related to coronavirus, do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.

For health information and advice, use the NHS website or check your GP surgery website.
For urgent medical help, use the NHS 111 online service. Only call 111 if you're unable to get help online.
For life-threatening emergencies, call 999 for an ambulance.
Read more advice about getting medical help at home.

Advice for people at high risk
If you're at high risk of getting seriously ill from coronavirus, there are extra things you should do to avoid catching it.

These include:

not leaving your home – you should not go out to do shopping, visit friends or family, or attend any gatherings
avoiding close contact with other people in your home as much as possible
Read the full advice on protecting yourself if you're at high risk from coronavirus on GOV.UK.

Who is at high risk?
You may be at high risk from coronavirus if you:

have had an organ transplant
are having certain types of cancer treatment
have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
have a condition that makes you much more likely to get infections
are taking medicine that weakens your immune system
are pregnant and have a serious heart condition
Information:
If you're at high risk, you will be contacted by the NHS by Sunday 29 March 2020. Do not contact your GP or healthcare team at this stage – wait to be contacted.

Other things you can do to stop the infection spreading
Do
wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds

use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available

cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze

put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards

stay 2 metres (3 steps) away from other people, if you need to go outside

Don't
do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean

How coronavirus is spread
Because it's a new illness, we do not know exactly how coronavirus spreads from person to person.

Similar viruses are spread in cough droplets.

It's very unlikely it can be spread through things like packages or food.

Pregnancy advice
If you're pregnant and worried about coronavirus, you can get advice about coronavirus and pregnancy from the Royal College of Obstretricians and Gynaecologists.

Treatment for coronavirus
There is currently no specific treatment for coronavirus.

Antibiotics do not help, as they do not work against viruses.

Treatment aims to relieve the symptoms while your body fights the illness.

You'll need to stay in isolation, away from other people, until you have recovered.

Get an isolation note to give to your employer
If you live with someone who has symptoms of coronavirus, you can get an isolation note to send to your employer as proof you need to stay off work.

You do not need to get a note from a GP.

Get an isolation note
Information:
If you have symptoms of coronavirus and need to stay at home, use the 111 coronavirus service to get an isolation note.

More information
GOV.UK: coronavirus action plan
GOV.UK: information on coronavirus and the situation in the UK
NHS England: coronavirus for health professionals
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Thanks for the info Longfellow.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 03:56 PM

You missed the link:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

It's important because the advice given on that page changes, almost daily ..... and because the links on that page lead to more advice ..... some for different parts of the UK.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 08:19 PM

I despair!!! I am on the vulnerable list. I am doing everything in my power to stick to the 'rules' I have a notice on my door asking people not to come in. I take a couple of walks each day but make sure I am at the prescribed distance from others.Now I am beginning to wonder. Is it worth it? The people living next door have visitors going in and out all day long. Another neighbour this afternoon had a visit from his son. A few minutes later the sons girlfriend turned up. Here is me doing my best to do as advised and I have selfish neighbours who seem to think it doesn,t matter. I have cancelled a visit from my hairdresser, my podiatrist and my cleaner lady and now I,m beginning to wonder, Why should I bother.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I despair!!! I am on the vulnerable list. I am doing everything in my power to stick to the 'rules' I have a notice on my door asking people not to come in. I take a couple of walks each day but make sure I am at the prescribed distance from others.Now I am beginning to wonder. Is it worth it? The people living next door have visitors going in and out all day long. Another neighbour this afternoon had a visit from his son. A few minutes later the sons girlfriend turned up. Here is me doing my best to do as advised and I have selfish neighbours who seem to think it doesn,t matter. I have cancelled a visit from my hairdresser, my podiatrist and my cleaner lady and now I,m beginning to wonder, Why should I bother.
Well, you should continue to bother as you are protecting yourself and others by what you are doing. If neighbours are so selfish that they don't consider what they are doing is wrong then you should not make that your problem, it's their's.

I haven't been outside my house or garden for two weeks now but I have to go and get food tomorrow. I will be keeping my distance from others and if it's too busy then I will shop another day. When you live on your own and those who you know would usually shop for you have their own health problems then there is no choice, you just get on with it but ensure you take adequate precautions to keep yourself as safe as possible.

Don't let those inconsiderate neighbours get to you big ben, you are doing the right thing I reckon, the same as most of us are.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 10:07 PM

Don't let those inconsiderate neighbours get to you big ben, you are doing the right thing I reckon, the same as most of us are.

Good advice, Baz.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top