Join for free
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 01:49 PM

Cleaning camera lens

I have a Nikon Coolpix S9900 camera and there appears to be a spec of dust inside the lens. The outer ring appears to unscrew but I don't want to that far in case I can't put it back together again Any suggestions or should I leave it to a professional?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 02:08 PM

Re: Cleaning camera lens

Personally, I'd leave it to a professional.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 02:25 PM

Apart from having the right tools I still would not attempt it myself.

I should imagine what has happened is the lens extending from the camera and returning has created a bellows effect drawing in the dust.

The questions are
1= does the dust show up on the photos? this can be removed via editing but a pain having to do it with each shot

2= what would be the cost of repair done professionally plus P/P

3= Have you had you monies worth out of it and consider getting another coolpix instead or say a DSLR camera.

This bellows effect is one of the problems with all cameras even DSLR's, but with the latter it is only a question generally of cleaning a sensor which one can easily do ones self.

having seen a video on that camera the first thing that would worry me is how far that lens extends. No wonder it would attract dust inside, it could happen time and time again.

you really have to consider that against reach and is it worth it?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 02:41 PM

Thanks Percy and realspeed. I will take you advice and leave it. I have never noticed any ill effects in my pictures realspeed but then I am probably easier to please. I don't know how old the camera is as I bought it 2nd hand some time ago.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 03:01 PM

scot37

In 2008 in the lake district I had the same problem with a fine hair. I didn't notice it until i got home

not really bothered me but to give some idea with editing to clean it up and remove the hair

yes a crap photo I know, but the point is if you want a photo you have taken and really want to show it off in hard copy you can remove your unwanted dust spot, So not all is lost by far
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 03:14 PM

Long long ago, when I was using an SLR (non-digital), a Canon T70, I noticed a tiny insect moving across the screen as I was using it.

It wasn't in the lens or on the mirror - I checked, but must have been around the pentaprism.

There was nothing I could do about it. Like you, I wasn't going to risk damaging the camera by trying to take it apart.

Luckily, it later seemed to have buggered off, or died somewhere within the camera!

I still have that camera, by the way, but films have gone out of fashion now and are very expensive compared to using digital photography. I now only use my smartphone, which provides surprisingly good pictures if you don't blow them up, of course.

EDIT: Sorry. It is a T90. Anyone want to buy it?
scot37
Aberdeenshire

26-03-2020, 03:26 PM

Thanks realspeed. I have inspected some of my latest photos and can't see any flaws. I suppose it might depend on the background. No doubt it will affect the definition.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

26-03-2020, 03:34 PM

without going into too much detail it can also depend on the camera aperture setting if what is called "dust bunnies" show up on a photo

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top