Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 05:40 PM

Off Warfarin - Huraah Hurrah!

Doctor just rang to say that they can no longer cope with warfarin & the associated blood tests.

I'm moved to a twice a day pill with no blood test - very expensive he says!

Yippee!

Will miss the chat up of the nurses every month for the last 10 years.

LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 05:47 PM

Re: Off Warfarin - Huraah Hurrah!

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Doctor just rang to say that they can no longer cope with warfarin & the associated blood tests.

I'm moved to a twice a day pill with no blood test - very expensive he says!

Yippee!

Will miss the chat up of the nurses every month for the last 10 years.

If that is apixaban then I wish you luck because the side effects it had with me were too much and I went onto aspirin as an antiplatelet from which I've had no bother and my skin eventually returned to normal.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 06:30 PM

I take a NOAC, Apixaban and have done so for 3 years with no ill effects

My Brother takes Warfarin and it is a big faff getting the INR right.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 06:36 PM

I’ve been on apixaban for a couple of years with no ill effects.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 06:36 PM

Wonder why all you lot were on the expensive stuff & I had to make do with warfarin.

Maybe the nurses liked me?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 06:53 PM

Wonder why all you lot were on the expensive stuff & I had to make do with warfarin.

Maybe the nurses liked me?
Ted it is now recommended that anyone who needs anticoagulation is prescribed a NOAC rather than Warfarin, it has been found to be cost effective in the long run because they don't need regular INR testing.

If you are on a NOAC it is important that you have regular tests at least once a year ( every 6 months where I live) to check kidney and liver function and because they have a short half-life (12 hours for Apixaban) it is very important to take them at the same time every day .
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

31-03-2020, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ted it is now recommended that anyone who needs anticoagulation is prescribed a NOAC rather than Warfarin, it has been found to be cost effective in the long run because they don't need regular INR testing.

If you are on a NOAC it is important that you have regular tests at least once a year ( every 6 months where I live) to check kidney and liver function and because they have a short half-life (12 hours for Apixaban) it is very important to take them at the same time every day .
Thanks for that, Meg.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 10:21 PM

Mr Mags takes Rivaroxaban, he's been on it for a few years now and had no problem.

He was originally offered Warfarin but I was with him at that appointment and told the GP I wasn't happy with him taking Warfarin, giving him reasons why like couldn't eat various foods and also having regular blood checks every month. The GP immediately offered him the other option.

Warfarin seems very old fashioned these days.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 11:29 PM

Do you have a long thin tail?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top