Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 01:14 PM

Brown bin charges voted in

An annual charge is to be implemented for brown bin users in the borough after councillors voted to introduce the fee.
St Edmundsbury Borough Council voted in favour of the proposed fee, expected to be between £35 and £50 for residents who wish to keep their brown bins.
The charge, proposed instead of a council tax rise, will help cover a £500,000 shortfall which will be left after central government funding and a subsidy for composting organic waste are reduced.
Cllr Peter Stephens cabinet member for operations said the charge was "a product of our own over success".
"The calculations are for a fall off in households who use the service ovf about 10 to 20 per cent at its worst". he said.
A possible increase in fly-tipping more compostable waste being put in black bins and people using other peoples brown bins were all cited as concerns.
Cllr Julia Wakelam deputy mayor said "I think it is really disappointing that our commitment to recycling depends on how much money we get for it. We need to be thinking long term".
In total 37 councillors voted for the proposals and 5 against.

My argument is this Do we not pay already to have our bins emptied by the council tax? And what next pay for the blue and black to be emptied? Which again we already pay for. I for one will tell them to collect my brown bin and i will find another way to get rid of my brown bin waste and i hope everyone else will do the same, but they won't.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 01:33 PM

Re: Brown bin charges voted in

Is the brown bin for food ?
Its a bloomin cheek to ask us to pay
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 02:08 PM

Patsy mainly for garden waste but yes it is a bloomin cheek asking us to pay especially when we already pay by council tax.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 02:08 PM

This is very short-sighted on the council's part. If our council did that it would all go in my black bin.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 02:10 PM

I already pay an annual charge to have my brown bins emptied here
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 02:43 PM

What's the brown bin for? We don't have them, just a green one for recyclables and a grey one for landfill. They're collected on alternate weeks.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

27-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Deb see above for answer☺
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
What's the brown bin for? We don't have them, just a green one for recyclables and a grey one for landfill. They're collected on alternate weeks.
We have 3 bins and a box. Black bin for ordinary waste, blue bin for recyclables, grey bin for waste food and garden waste and a red box for paper. They take up a lot of room !
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 03:29 PM

We have 4 bins, Black for landfill, brown for plastic and tins, blue for paper, and green for garden waste.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 03:32 PM

If they do charge everyone - fly tipping will just get worse !

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top