Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 03:28 PM

Does it matter?

If you're a fan of someone's work, such as an artist, singer, composer should you stop liking their work if they're found guilty of a heinous crime?
If they have died does it make a difference whether you admit to liking their work?
I'm asking because I saw some paintings by an artist called Richard Dadd and thought they were wonderful. It turned out he murdered his father. I got to wondering if the people in his day shunned his work.
If for instance Rolf Harris or Gary Glitter died would people feel it was fine to say they were fans?
What are your thoughts on this?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 03:33 PM

Re: Does it matter?

I was thinking about this the other day. Always liked Rolf Harris and his painting ability, it was a shock to hear about his criminal acts. So i can still admire his talent, but not the nasty side of his life.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 03:33 PM

Tricky one this.
I met Rolf on several occasions, thought he was lovely and genuine.
Wonder what Queenie did with the portrait he did of her?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 03:39 PM

No - I go right off them - would get rid of anything by them
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
If you're a fan of someone's work, such as an artist, singer, composer should you stop liking their work if they're found guilty of a heinous crime?
If they have died does it make a difference whether you admit to liking their work?
I'm asking because I saw some paintings by an artist called Richard Dadd and thought they were wonderful. It turned out he murdered his father. I got to wondering if the people in his day shunned his work.
If for instance Rolf Harris or Gary Glitter died would people feel it was fine to say they were fans?
What are your thoughts on this?
Richard Dadd had a wonderful way with 'light' the poor chap suffered with 'melancholia' I understand so would probably be receiving treatment for depression these days .
If anyone has any of his paintings and is worried that he killed his father just throw the paintings in my direction , I can live with it .

I think it depends on the 'work' really
Good art is good art regardless of who painted it, that said I couldn't live with a Hitler painting although some of his work is good .

Never liked Gary Glitter so the problem doesn't arise.

I could live with a Harris painting if it was a good one. After all where do you draw the line, a murderer may have made the clothes you are wearing or the food you are eating we just don't know.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 03:47 PM

As I see it there's nothing wrong with admiring good things while despising bad things.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 04:05 PM

Loads of people from the past are incredibly famous, with their wrongdoings long forgotten, or are incredibly famous because of them - infamous.

I thought Gary Glitter was great and his music is very much linked to my memories of my childhood but nowadays it isn't wise to mention him anywhere. Because of this my memories have become rather tarnished - as if liking him causes some 'dirt' to fall on me by association.

People in high places should set examples I suppose else suffer the fate of anonymity.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 04:17 PM

I think for me the crime committed would come into play.

If it was like some of those famous people mentioned, then no I would throw away anything I had that was anything remotely to do with that person, anyone committing any of these crimes murder/molesting children/ cruelty of any form, is a big NO NO in my book.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Tricky one this.
I met Rolf on several occasions, thought he was lovely and genuine.
Wonder what Queenie did with the portrait he did of her?
It came down pretty quick ruthio. stevmk2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 04:49 PM

If I already owned and really liked a book/painting/record whatever - and then found out the author/artist was a miscreant - I don't think it would diminish my liking - it might make me think twice about owning up to having them though!

However - if I knew someone was a criminal or was associated with criminals - then I would not waste my money on them. e.g., I would not buy Roberta Kray's books or any written by other members of the Kray family.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top