Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 05:01 PM

Re: Does it matter?

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
No - I go right off them - would get rid of anything by them
So if you were the proud owner of a Caravaggio worth many millions you'd sell it because he was a murderer?

You would suddenly be unable to listen to a beautiful piece of music because its composer had, say, raped someone?

If you loved Rolf Harris's paintings, as an example, how are they no longer a thing of beauty - I don't get it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 05:10 PM

I always loved Carravagio's paintings, the colours are beautiful.
Could it be like Mark said, we feel tainted if we like certain people's work especially now that they're in our homes via television etc.
It's almost like disowning a relative who's done something wrong
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
So if you were the proud owner of a Caravaggio worth many millions you'd sell it because he was a murderer?

You would suddenly be unable to listen to a beautiful piece of music because its composer had, say, raped someone?

If you loved Rolf Harris's paintings, as an example, how are they no longer a thing of beauty - I don't get it.
I understand it would not bother some, I'm just too emotional I guess, hearing the music or seeing their work would 'only' remind me of their crime and would upset me
But I would not criticise anyone for keeping the possession at all
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I was thinking about this the other day. Always liked Rolf Harris and his painting ability, it was a shock to hear about his criminal acts. So i can still admire his talent, but not the nasty side of his life.
Ditto... Met Rolf and thought he was really nice so I was quiet shocked.

Still admire his paintings.

I think there is a difference between the artist and the art.. But also the reason for wanting it..
Do you like or want the work because you like the subject/sound or is it the notoriety that comes with it?
There are those who just go for things associated with bad people.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 06:43 PM

I'd love to have one of Hitler's paintings. He was quite a decent artist and his works are commanding good money. Sorry if this offends anyone, but business is business.
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 07:10 PM

Question is, if somebody did something that you felt was a bad crime, would you WANT to listen to their music/see their works?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 07:33 PM

We all have good and bad in us, the thing to do is to nurture the good and keep the bad under control, if you can't master that you are in trouble, but not everyone can, that's why there are so few saints and so many sinners, but it doesn't mean we can't admire their talent, in the art world that is. That's just my opinion.

However here is one object I did get rid of in a hurry when this monster was found out. It's at the bottom of the river Liffey now, I'd had it for years, my daughter was a big fan of his fix it show and she bought this for me way back then. I just couldn't stomach being reminded of him every time I lit a smoke.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 07:58 PM

I don't have too much trouble with these things. Good art, music, literature etc. doesn't become bad because its creator commits a crime. They stand on their own merit and you have to divorce the object from the person.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I'd love to have one of Hitler's paintings. He was quite a decent artist and his works are commanding good money. Sorry if this offends anyone, but business is business.
His work wasn't that highly rated at the time, looks ok to me but I know nothing about art! - shame he didn't stick to doing that.
I wouldn't mind having one either - to sell, of course.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 08:12 PM

It depends on the crime for me. I mean Roman Polanski was an amazing director, but liking young girls...not little girls, but early teens had him on the run for a long time. Or if someone had a problem with drugs or drink obviously that doesn't condemn the art they can create.

But a violent crime and I'd just associate the artist or piece with EWWWWW

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top