Join for free
Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 11:35 PM

Re: Is a No Deal Brexit a Worry?

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
WA has rightly been described by leading lawyers as ‘a legally binding death-trap for Brexit’ and as a ‘political Chernobyl disaster’.
Than that also describes the quality of british negotiators. As you can read in the newspapers, this is still the case: boris is not trying to negotiate, only making demands which is not his position to do. The EU needs you less than he still thinks.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 03:09 AM

Bloody hell! Discussing Brexit is worse than mentioning flu to a realist.

Whatever the outcome it looks to me that Brexit has finished up what Thatcher started - the complete breakdown of British society into warring factions in a way never seen before.

It begins to look as if Cameron should have been shot for bringing up this ill conceived idea, paralysing Britain for three years and now, perhaps, relinquishing the country's already tenuous grasp on democracy.

Whether Brexit happens or not, how long will it take for this to heal?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Whatever the outcome it looks to me that Brexit has finished up what Thatcher started - the complete breakdown of British society into warring factions in a way never seen before.

It begins to look as if Cameron should have been shot for bringing up this ill conceived idea, paralysing Britain for three years and now, perhaps, relinquishing the country's already tenuous grasp on democracy.

Surely you will agree that, without Cameron's action, the views of the Public would NOT have been sought.

He may have thought that he had "remaining" all sewn up, but, at last, we got the chance to let the HOC know what we required of them.

Other countries have not been given such a lucky break, and, probably, never will be.

We wonder how many, of those other Countries, will have voters who would like the same consideration.

Time will tell.

The EU approach has been designed to frighten others from doing as we do.

In the end, will that work?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 09:51 AM

The trouble is we live in a democracy that only works if the losing side accepts the decision. I have been on losing side here all my life I accept that and still vote. These remainers don't accept it. They have openly now said if we vote again and the answer is leave or WTO deal they still won't accept it.

I'm not sure where we go from there. Is there any point to any of this any more.
Look on twitter normally decent commentators hoping brexiteers die horribly. Is there any coming back from that ?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Is a No Deal Brexit a Worry?

I don't let any of it worry me.

I'm just a bit fed up with how opinionated we've all become on subjects we know little about, joe public and the media windup merchants. I just hope we never have a referendum on anything ever again. A G.E. every four years is sufficient.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

You should not confuse the decision of the EU Referendum, which was to Leave, with the mess, shambles, and confusion that has developed since them

For years some people complained that they wanted to leave the EEC, and these calls gradually increased as it changed to become the EU, but were constantly ignored by all parties

Eventually with the increase in these calls, and the rise in popularity of Nigel Farage and UKIP Cameron decided to do something about it, and hold a referendum - Remain or Leave
We were told that this would be a once in a lifetime decision; that the decision would be taken by the electorate, not the MPs; and 'the government will implement what you decide'
But. of course, that was when Cameron and the rest of the Establishment expected that the result would be to Remain

However the result was a straightforward majority of 1.2M votes to leave, and you would have thought that would be the matter settled. Simple

But no. The situation was best described by one commentator as 'the problem with democracy is that it requires the losing side to accept the result'

And that has been, and still is, the problem
Since the Referendum the losers - Remain - have done everything they can think of to reverse, overthrow, weaken, and generally subvert the majority decision of the biggest exercise in democracy ever held in this country

We always knew that Brexit wouldn't be easy, but it is the Remainers who have turned it into the shambles that it is
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 10:40 AM

What is to fear about trading with the EU in the same way we trade with the 2 biggest economies on earth - USA and China ?

A point remainers may wish to consider is if the single market and customs union are so beneficial why is it we trade less with the EU year on year and more with USA and Canada ?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 10:43 AM

and the beat goes on ....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
You should not confuse the decision of the EU Referendum, which was to Leave, with the mess, shambles, and confusion that has developed since them

For years some people complained that they wanted to leave the EEC, and these calls gradually increased as it changed to become the EU, but were constantly ignored by all parties

Eventually with the increase in these calls, and the rise in popularity of Nigel Farage and UKIP Cameron decided to do something about it, and hold a referendum - Remain or Leave
We were told that this would be a once in a lifetime decision; that the decision would be taken by the electorate, not the MPs; and 'the government will implement what you decide'

The result was a straightforward majority of 1.2M votes to leave, and you would have thought that would be the matter settled

But no. The situation was best described by one commentator as 'the problem with democracy is that it requires the losing side to accept the result'

And that has been, and still is, the problem
Since the Referendum the losers - Leave- have done everything they can think of to reverse, overthrow, weaken, and generally subvert the majority decision of the biggest exercise in democracy ever held in this country

We always knew that Brexit wouldn't be easy, but it is the Remainers who have turned it into the shambles that it is
Good post Zuludog... And my thoughts exactly.

Now the remainers are complaining about democracy concerning the suspension of parliament, where were they when democracy was ignored following the majority decision of the people of this country in the referendum....
Just get on with it Boris.....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
No weasel words, just facts,
You obviously cannot even read your own words,
As you clearly stated “ordinary north of Watford people” . No mention of elites whatsoever only the selfish wealth of the South
Now you’re desperately backtracking, claiming that you only meant the elites south of Watford which is utter BS that I don’t buy in to. Furthermore, those you call elites don’t just live south of Watford but such is your ire towards the South the red mid doesn’t let you see that

Fry’s words are not without foundation. If you believe Rees Mog, Farage, Bangor’s and others of that ilk are pushing to leave the EU to improve the lot of the ordinary people you have a big shock coming
Not going to play ping pong with you. It's boring.

As for Boris,Rees-Mogg etc, well-off they may well be, but at least they are being seen to be working on behalf of the people that voted to leave. I will take my chances with them rather than the selfish planks that have been grieving and plotting to overturn that democratic result for three years because Leave voters interfered with their cushy London lifestyle of tugging at their forelocks and letting unelected suits in another country dictate all the rules on how this country is governed. Then, when anyone protested, always had the ready excuse "Blame Brussels".

You can carry on with your pathetic slurs, inuendoes and insinuations. but as I said, you are so transparent.

Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top