Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 01:54 PM

Re: has the price of your house fallen?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why? what does the value of your house matter as long as you have no mortgage? Whether it is worth $100 or $1000000 it will cost the same to buy another, it's actual value is meaningless. Investment properties are a different matter but the house you live in? Nah!

The only figure I know is that I paid $47000 for my shack nearly 40 years ago (and paid it off within 9 years) since I bought it I have absolutely no idea of its value or any price fluctuations. The only people the value will mean anything to are my kids when I am past caring.
You could say why worry about the price of food or the price of a car? Simply it is nice to know if you made a wise choice or not with any purchase
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why? what does the value of your house matter as long as you have no mortgage? Whether it is worth $100 or $1000000 it will cost the same to buy another, it's actual value is meaningless. Investment properties are a different matter but the house you live in? Nah!

The only figure I know is that I paid $47000 for my shack nearly 40 years ago (and paid it off within 9 years) since I bought it I have absolutely no idea of its value or any price fluctuations. The only people the value will mean anything to are my kids when I am past caring.
Some of us might be planning one more move before we are too old.

Our place has gone down by about 2% per year for the past 3 or 4 years, according to Zoopla. When there's a recession, crunch or whatever, London property prices are the first (in the UK) to drop, and the first to rise as a new cycle begins.

I reckon we could move to the sticks when our London house price is on the rise, to a place where prices will still be falling. Think of the bargaining power. It's about more than supposed prices/values, it's about demand.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 02:44 PM

House prices around where I live does require a bit of capital still , yet others not far are are quite a bit cheaper. Why this is I have now idea
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You could say why worry about the price of food or the price of a car? Simply it is nice to know if you made a wise choice or not with any purchase
You could say that but it would be stupid to do so, they are not even vaguely comparable purchases.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 11:50 PM

I don't have a clue what the current value of my home is, or whether it is going up or down. The mortgage pays off in about five months so it really doesn't matter. I am going nowhere until I move into a casket, and then I hope one of my children move into the family home.

The only way I have to judge the value is the value assigned by the county to bill property taxes, and that has not gone down.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top