Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 10:00 PM

I Don't Wanna Buy a New Car

It's new car time at my house with 325K on one vehicle and 140K on the other.

I dislike buying a car on so many levels. At the top of reasons is putting so much money into a depreciating asset.

Is a new car purchase fun for you? Do you get excited about it? Do you get buyer's remorse?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:00 PM

Re: I Don't Wanna Buy a New Car

I have bought many cars, only one new and it was a disaster. Now I would only buy second hand, not too old and not too many owners. Let someone else suffer the crippling depreciation.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:27 PM

I suppose I should have clarified, Ray. I am probably buying a car that is less than a year old with less than 10K miles on it. I agree with you!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:37 PM

I hate buying cars also and do it as seldomly (is that even a word?) as possible. We have two cars that all three of us (My wife, my son and I) share. They are very very safe but ordinary no frills (Except for a great stereo in both- very important) vehicles. They are both fairly old but we take care of them and luckily don't cost us much to maintain.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

06-10-2019, 05:40 AM

Ah, yes, keezoy a practical vehicle with a good stereo system, bluetooth capabilities, and GPS would be ideal. I typically find myself without a capable navigator and often driving 10-15 hours in a day. Since Ranger the giant one-eyed dog came along, I am now up to four dogs and in need of plenty of space. Not an easy decision when I am so thoroughly happy with my little wagon.

Decisions, decisions...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 07:32 AM

My cars since 1990 have all been new and I have been very satisfied with them even though it is madness to buy a new car - far better to buy a near new, low mileage second hand car.

My current car isn't the one I set out to buy, I wanted a Ford Ranger but ended up with an Isuzu Dmax purely because the Ford was between models and there was a 3 month backlog on orders. I quite enjoy test driving different cars.

I think the only thing I would insist on in a car is cruise control and air con but they all come equipped with those.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 08:22 AM

Mr M is itching to buy a new car .
I have no interest in cars at all as long as they have four doors and enough room for the dog .
I have drive.SUVs for the past two decades so cars make me feel low and rather vulnerable .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 08:58 AM

We get a discount the wipes out the new car depreciation.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 11:48 AM

The best thing I ever did Surfermom..
Was to get a PCP (Personal Credit Plan)
It's like a loan but after a pre-agreed number of years (4 for me) you just go in and pick up another new car (doesn't have to be same make even) and the pcp is adjusted and keeps rolling.
When I got the Audi I got it early, as there is what they call a "sweet spot" when the car is still worth more than you still owe. That value is used to pay off the remainder of your "loan" and any money in excess is deposit on the next.
I wish I'd known about it years ago. It's the easiest way to always own a car which is less than 3 years old.
In the UK that also means no MOTs to pay for and most dealerships give you two annual services and full valets for free too
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

06-10-2019, 04:37 PM

Bruce, I've seen pictures of your Izuzu. It looks sharp, and from your reports of from your long-distance driving , it seems to be very reliable. Do you have manual windows and door locks? I would think that those would be plusses for you since you are handy and spend a fair amount of time in remote locations. Isuzus aren't sold here anymore, though they appear from time to time under different brands like Honda. I think Nissan may have made something similar to yours?

Spitfire, good for you on the discount. I like to think that I can negotiate the moon away from the sun, so even a discount hopefully I'll be able to reduce the price enough that I can eat something beside rice for the remainder of the year.

Muddy, send your husband over and he can scratch his itch searching for the right car for me .

Rhian, I read about your program with interest and I can see why it would work really well for you, especially in regards to the maintenance and concerns about the vehicles long term. We don't have any programs like that over here. Are you driving a sedan or one of their SUVs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top