Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Doggy pee sample

The vet wants me to take in a urine sample from my 12 year old cocker spaniel Daisy - she has cataracts and is completely blind so the vet wants to check for diabetes (of which he says cataracts are a symptom).

I am not sure how I am going to get this sample! Does anyone have any tips please?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Re: Doggy pee sample

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
The vet wants me to take in a urine sample from my 12 year old cocker spaniel Daisy - she has cataracts and is completely blind so the vet wants to check for diabetes (of which he says cataracts are a symptom).

I am not sure how I am going to get this sample! Does anyone have any tips please?
We use a plastic measuring jug. But you need to be alert. Our dog doesn't seem to mind.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
We use a plastic measuring jug. But you need to be alert. Our dog doesn't seem to mind.
Thanks for the tip Besoeker - however, because Daisy is a bitch she crouches very close to the ground and I doubt I would get a jug under her. The vet suggested a tupperware dish but I can't get that under her either! I don't know whether it's because she is old that she squats so low ...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Would it help to use a puppy training pad - then squeeze the liquid into a container?

Or even a cat litter tray with some non absorbent crystals (from the vets) then drain into a container.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

12-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Would it help to use a puppy training pad - then squeeze the liquid into a container?

Or even a cat litter tray with some non absorbent crystals (from the vets) then drain into a container.
Thank you Silver Tabby, the cat litter tray idea might work so long as it isn't too deep. I have been given a sort of syringe to draw up the urine from a container to enable me to take it to the vet for testing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->

Whoops. Too late. I see Margaret has said the same as I was going to.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Margaret, with all my girls it is so easy.
I'll show you what I use -

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/searchre...ection&x=0&y=0

They're brilliant and so simple.
Just screw the little yellow 'scoop' onto the specimen bottle, and when she squats slide the scoop under the stream quickly. Then you just tilt it up and the wee runs straight into the pot. Screw lid on, wash the scoop and job's done.
You don't have to touch anything so it all stays sterile.

(Handy for our own as well).

I've got a drawer full, I can send you one if you want, but it is probably just as quick to order from Hyperdrug, they're very good.

P.S. My vet also sells them, have you asked yours?
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

12-10-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Margaret, with all my girls it is so easy.
I'll show you what I use -

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/searchre...ection&x=0&y=0

They're brilliant and so simple.
Just screw the little yellow 'scoop' onto the specimen bottle, and when she squats slide the scoop under the stream quickly. Then you just tilt it up and the wee runs straight into the pot. Screw lid on, wash the scoop and job's done.
You don't have to touch anything so it all stays sterile.

(Handy for our own as well).

I've got a drawer full, I can send you one if you want, but it is probably just as quick to order from Hyperdrug, they're very good.

P.S. My vet also sells them, have you asked yours?
That's brilliant Mups, just what I need. My vet just gave me a syringe and told me to use a Tupperware pot so I don't think he knew about those. I shall order one now. Thank you so much. The vet had said that if I couldn't get a sample he would take Daisy into their surgery for a couple of hours and draw the urine out clinically for a small charge. I don't want to do that if I can help it because Daisy is blind and would be completely disoriented - she is nervous enough now anyway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
That's brilliant Mups, just what I need. My vet just gave me a syringe and told me to use a Tupperware pot so I don't think he knew about those. I shall order one now. Thank you so much. The vet had said that if I couldn't get a sample he would take Daisy into their surgery for a couple of hours and draw the urine out clinically for a small charge. I don't want to do that if I can help it because Daisy is blind and would be completely disoriented - she is nervous enough now anyway.

Totally agree about not sending her in for something so simple, poor old gal. I have great empathy for the oldies, and they need our TLC that bit more. Even more so because of her sight.

If you order, I'd order 2 or 3 if I were you, then you've always got a spare if needed in the future.

I was serious when I said they are handy for us as well.
Better than the stupid little pots the Doc's give us.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 10:10 AM

I use a saucer for my girls , works every time !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top