Join for free
Page 34 of 50 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Re: Greta Thunberg ... again

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Why is it a nonsense? The idea that we have to keep producing stuff that we don't need seems more like nonsense to me. It's become normality but it isn't actually normal. We were doing fine without it. The whole driven agenda towards the internet of things and obsession with what we define as progress (but is really regress) is just insane really.

I'm just as reluctant to accept change as anyone else here but I've long thought we are on a sure path to our own destruction. The planet doesn't actually need us so won't miss us once we're gone, but we need the planet.
Well said I agree ( that’s twice in one morning )
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Greta is far from being qualified to speak about the problems of the world.....She hasn't been part of it for long enough.

And we don't need anyone to tell us the obvious, we need someone with solutions....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by oldgreyfox ->
greta is far from being qualified to speak about the problems of the world.....she hasn't been part of it for long enough.

And we don't need anyone to tell us the obvious, we need someone with solutions....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Greta is far from being qualified to speak about the problems of the world.....She hasn't been part of it for long enough.

Incorrect .
We or at least the majority of us want easy solutions .
And there aren’t any
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
?...... I reckon climate change is the most urgent issue we face today. I only speak for the kids in this country but they are deadly serious about this and their teachers are behind them all the way. They are intelligent, articulate and committed. It's THEIR future that is at stake. The marchers here are from everywhere. NObody expects any to march if they can't. But the more people take this issue seriously the better chance we'll have of saving the planet for our kids.
Well said keezoy .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Incorrect .
We or at least the majority of us want easy solutions .
And there aren’t any
There are far more intelligent and qualified people working on solutions even as we speak Muddy....People like Greta just Muddy the waters....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-10-2019, 11:44 AM

So that’s all right someone somewhere is doing something so we don’t have to worry about it.

People may well be working on solutions but we all have to do our bit no need to sit back complaisantly thinking someone will sort it .
It’s is up to every last one of us to help preserve our planet for further generations .
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Presumably you are not complacent - so can you tell us, in full, what your are doing?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-10-2019, 12:06 PM

For a start I speak up as I am doing now and have been doing for years .

I have been avoiding plastic for the last twenty years .
I am frugal in my use of water .
People squander water all the time .
We only have one car .
I don’t eat much meat .
I don’t waste food -it’s dreadful how people waste foods
I recycle just about everything .
I even have a recycled dog!

I have lived much of my life in third world countries where water is in short supply and people would never throw away stuff as we do in our first world indulgent society .

I also support various environment organisations.
Organisation that bring pressure on large companies that are destroying and polluting the environment .

These probably don’t sound very much but multiply it by the millions of people in the civilised world and slowly ,too slowly things will change .

However all this takes time and the world doesn’t have time hence the urgency
which this young girl has voiced .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 12:27 PM

My background is power electronics.
FWIW, much of my life has been developing/designing more energy efficient systems.
When you are dealing with thousands of kW, that has an impact.

Page 34 of 50 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top