Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Re: Is Tourism Killing Venice?

Originally Posted by Omah ->
That'll never happen .....

There are lots of restrictions/charges for tourists and they haven't stopped the flood:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45651699

After reading this I will definitely never visit Venice .
They obviously hate tourists but would probaby be moaning if they didn't get any .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Just watched a vid clip taken full on and though most people on land were running away, I couldn’t believe those who stopped to film it!!!
I think I've found that:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-06-02/...oat-in-venice/

Four older female tourists were injured as they tried to run away as the cruise ship rammed the tourist boat.

The collision happened about 8:30am on Sunday on the Giudecca Canal, a major thoroughfare that leads to Saint Mark’s Square in the north-eastern Italian city.
Now that is really scary .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Just watched a vid clip taken full on and though most people on land were running away, I couldn’t believe those who stopped to film it!!!
Jazzi, l was amazed at those filming it! That liner did look ginormous in comparison to the boat. How ever didn’t it see it?

I have only been to Venice once when l boarded a cruise ship for a Mediterranean cruise.
Venice was beautiful. I gasped at its beauty as we sailed away.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 04:48 AM

What extraordinary footage! I imagine the crew were sick to their stomachs watching the whole thing happen in slow motion. Terrible.

I'm booked to sail into the Giaudecca on a small cruise ship in August, but if they ban the entrance I'm ok with it. I understand that the larger ships are causing a great deal of damage to the foundations on either side of the canal.

It's somewhat unrelated, but I do think that they need to reduce the number of ships in a port in a single day. On some days, more than 15K people can disembark. Crushing.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2019, 10:58 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49054042

Police in Venice have fined two German tourists who were caught making coffee on the steps of the Rialto Bridge, the oldest of the four bridges on the Grand Canal,

The backpackers, aged 32 and 35, were fined a total of €950 (£853) for preparing coffee on a travel cooker. They were also asked to leave the city.

Venice has introduced a law on a series of public order offences - including picnicking at certain sites and not wearing a shirt in public spaces.

The tourists from Berlin were reported to police by a passerby.
That'll be the most expensive cup of coffee in Venice, then .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Venice to route cruise ships away from city centre

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/v...y-centre-18972

The Italian government has confirmed plans to route cruise ships away from Venice city centre.

Transport minister Danilo Toninelli, the Financial Times reports, said starting next month, some ships would be directed to the city’s outlying Fusina and Lombardia terminals, although these remain within the Venetian lagoon.

Toninelli said the aim was by next year to re-route a third of Venice’s cruise traffic away from Venice’s Marittima terminal in the city centre.

Longer-term, city officials plan to consult Venetians on where new berths for the city should be situated.
It's a first step .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Venice to route cruise ships away from city centre

It's a first step .....
Yep, got no problem with that.

I'm fortunate to have cruised into Venice along the traditional route passing St Mark's Square on many many occasions. It is a cruising "must" and a spectacular thing to witness. Simply breathtaking and a vantage point high up above the terracotta rooftops that can not be witnessed any other way.

Large cruise ships such as P&O's Verntura and Azura are already now too big to be allowed into the main berthing areas at the back of Venice. Moving the berths further away is a reasonable idea provided they can facilitate movement of passengers from that point into Venice itself.
Opportunity knocks there for Venice to set up more chargeable transportation, e.g. more vapouretto services.

There already exists a monorail system that terminates at the main vapouretto hub at Piazzale Roma. They could look to utilise this by citing berths further along that monorail line or else join a new monorail to the existing line.

Either way so long as they sensibly preserve this most beautiful city I'm happy.

Let's be under no allusions though. Venice is a commercial tourist city depite it's rich tapestry of history, heritage, art and culture.

Of the people who now live there, only 1 in every 10 are actual true Venetians. The rest were very long ago pushed out and away as businesses and shops and commercial ventures flooded in and took over the place.

Cruising has nothing to do with that situation, it happened ages ago.

They key problem with cruising and Venice is the same as many other ports like Dubrovnik. The city governments and maritime operators permit FAR TOO MANY ships to visit both at the same time, and throughout the year.

Dubrovnik can see up to 5, sometimes 6 ships in on a given day. They built special new berthing areas about a 15 min bus ride away from Dubrovnik centre. They can hold 4 ships. 2 further ships can be moored in the bay right outside the old city walls.

These measures have served only to exacerbate the problem for locals. Even with 4 ships in on a given day, it is too much. I have been there many many times and if there are 4 or more ships in, I simply stay on the ship and don't go ashore because the numbers of people flooding into the relatively small town centre is unbearable and dangerous. I have been there when it is like a football match with 10,000 people all trying to get through a tiny exit point. Really uncomfortable and dangerous.

The villains therefore to Venice and Dubrovnik and similar "pearls of the Adriatic" are NOT the cruising passengers, but rather the local city governments and maritime operators who are wilfully allowing far too many ships in. They do so because they get massive profits from the huge berthing fees they charge the cruise lines. Of course local residents of Venice etc don't see a penny of those profits.

It's all wrong and very typical of today's gloabalist systems which see the rich and wealth and powerful organisations rape and pillage areas for profit at the expense of the lives of local people. It needs to be stopped.

Moving cruise ships from one place to another won't solve the problem at Venice. They MUST start restricting how many ships visit on the same day, and the number that visit per year.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 11:19 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49054042

That'll be the most expensive cup of coffee in Venice, then .....
Almost as expensive as two coffees in St Mark's Square
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 06:50 AM

I was in Venice a couple of years ago...i remember we sat in St Marks Square listening to the music....my husband commented looking at the menu he didn't think the food was so expensive taking into consideration the location so he ordered a pizza at €15....me being a true Yorkshire lass said I would have a slice of his....I still laugh at the look on hubby's face when the pizza arrived...it was the size of a small saucer...so funny. Needless to say I forfeited my slice

I love Venice though....just love it.

I have never cruisedi into Venice or been there when a cruise ship arrived so it's hard to make a judgement...I suspect it's not as pleasant the days cruise ships are there .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I was in Venice a couple of years ago...i remember we sat in St Marks Square listening to the music....my husband commented looking at the menu he didn't think the food was so expensive taking into consideration the location so he ordered a pizza at €15....me being a true Yorkshire lass said I would have a slice of his....I still laugh at the look on hubby's face when the pizza arrived...it was the size of a small saucer...so funny. Needless to say I forfeited my slice

I love Venice though....just love it.

I have never cruisedi into Venice or been there when a cruise ship arrived so it's hard to make a judgement...I suspect it's not as pleasant the days cruise ships are there .
Some more 'eye watering tales'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...r-coffees.html

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top