Join for free
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 10:47 PM

Royal Institution Christmas Lectures

Does anyone else watch these? I've been a fan for many years after I first saw Eric Laithwaite's `Engineer Through the Looking Glass` lecture many years ago. Laithwaite was the inventor of the first practical linear motor now used in `Maglev` trains where express trains hover above a magnetic track and are propelled along that track by a moving magnetic field.

Tonight's lecture was presented by the ever watchable Professor Alice Roberts an anatomist and proponent of evolution. The lecture discussed the common ancestry of humans and other animals tracing our origins right back to fish and single-celled creatures and how we still exhibit traces of our ancient ancestors in our DNA. She also showed how and why our ancestors diversified into different animals and that we still all have distinct similarities.

Wonder what the Creationists would make of this?

She's on again for the next two nights BBC4 8:00PM if anyone is interested.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 10:51 PM

Re: Royal Institution Christmas Lectures

I used to love those Judd. I didn't know they were still on to be honest. Some have stuck in my memory, such as the one about 'spirals' in nature and the one with he tests the urine for sugar by dipping his finger in pretending to taste it. He then gets a volunteer up who does taste it for real.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 10:54 PM

I just realised who you meant by Prof Alice Roberts.....

It's on BBC iPlayer as well.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I just realised who you meant by Prof Alice Roberts.....

It's on BBC iPlayer as well.
Beauty as well as brains.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-12-2018, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Beauty as well as brains.
I'll say. She's like a Victoria Coren Mitchell but with fewer donuts.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Does anyone else watch these?
Yes. I recorded the first one, but haven't got round to watching it yet.

I know they're designed for children, but I still find them interesting and entertaining.

And from what people have said, this series will include a bit of 'glamour' too!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 01:27 AM

I use to watch them. I remember Carl Sagan doing one about the solar system
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 07:50 AM

Used to watch them - when I had a TV - extremely interesting. I rememeber the one about the spirals , Dongles, it was fascinating!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Used to watch them - when I had a TV - extremely interesting. I rememeber the one about the spirals , Dongles, it was fascinating!
I have not watched this yet Tabs but this might be it

http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectur..._term=endslide

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top