Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 06:49 AM

Re: When in Rome...

Hi

Rome is a Tourist Trap, stupid prices and rubbish food.

Filthy and dirty as well.

The Metro is cheap and safe.

The best way of getting around.

Do not eat or drink at any of the main attractions, an absolute rip off.

Walk 200 yards away and you will get great food and coffee at a fraction of the price.

At the Trevi Fountain, it is much closer, 70 yards away down a side alley you will get the most amazing food at minimum cost, it is where the locals eat.

Forget Pompei, far more to see at Rome's ancient Port, you can walk on 2000 year ornate baths there.

It is only a couple of $ Dollars.

When I go to the USA, I have no issues with the driving, the Italians are mad.

Tips, the Vatican Museum first thing, before the rush, then the Vatican itself, then last of all the Sistine Chapel, the organised tours are long gone by then.

Do not eat there, it is a rip off.

Leave, walk over the bridge, go left for 200 yards and you will find the most amazing restaurants used by the locals.

The Italian Parliament Building is fantastic, do not have coffee or a pastry in front of it, it costs a mint.

Go right, then left and left again and you will come across a small Piazza.

That is the place where you you will see the big players.

Amazing coffee and pastries at next to nothing, if you do not mind sharing a table with a assault weapon.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 10:35 PM

Swimfeeders, I appreciate your honest report and it adds to other advice I have received. I will certainly heed yours and others' suggestions on how to slip of into the more understated parts of the cities to dine well and get a more authentic feel for Italian life. While I am not a fan of big cities in general, I do like to think that I know how to navigate them well and how important it is to dust off the dirt so as to see the jewels.

My daughter is wanting to see Pompeii, while I wanted to see Herculaneum, so we will do both, though I will definitely try to find the port area and baths you mentioned.

Oh, and I think I found your piazzas on Google Earth. I can tell that the piazzas and I are going to get along just fine . My plan is to walk to the Vatican with a stop at the Castel Sant' Angelo before seeing the Vatican at night. Everything I have heard is that the crowds are lighter and the ambiance is much, much better. You mentioned dining from there, but which bridge?

I'm already shaving off a few last pounds and walk most everywhere so I can enjoy every delicious bite .

Most appreciated!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by surfermom
My plan is to walk to the Vatican with a stop at the Castel Sant' Angelo before seeing the Vatican at night.
I wonder, did you ever see Puccini's opera Tosca?

This is the castle from whence she made her famous leap!

Treat yourself to a leisurely walk along the banks of the Tiber to reach it...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	castel-santangelo-large_01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	9730  
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 11:14 PM

What an adventure - you'll have a great time.

My tips for Rome - don't use a backpack. Take a small purse on a strap which you wear inside your clothing/coat etc. The pickpockets work in gangs - fascinating to watch, not great to be a victim.

Take a look at the Viator Tours - particularly the Skip The Line - they're excellent!

Take a costume and swim in Lake Garda!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I wonder, did you ever see Puccini's opera Tosca?

This is the castle from whence she made her famous leap!

Treat yourself to a leisurely walk along the banks of the Tiber to reach it...
Yes, I have seen Tosca, and yes the plan is to walk from Castel Sant' Angelo. I can hardly believe that I have read about the Tiber and all of Rome since I was a young girl and will be walking along side it! Such a brilliant piece of trivia, Ruthio that I had forgotten. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
What an adventure - you'll have a great time.

My tips for Rome - don't use a backpack. Take a small purse on a strap which you wear inside your clothing/coat etc. The pickpockets work in gangs - fascinating to watch, not great to be a victim.

Take a look at the Viator Tours - particularly the Skip The Line - they're excellent!

Take a costume and swim in Lake Garda!
I sure hope it's an adventure, Lindyloo! I have indeed heard about the pickpockets and as you have advised, will not only avoid carrying a backpack, but plan to venture out with only the essentials - like lip gloss. Haha, but seriously, I have heard good things about Viator and are purchasing skip-the-line tickets. Great advice!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Hi

A small backpack is fine, but wear it on your front, not your back.

That way you are safe.

These are the things to carry your money in.

https://www.urbansurfer.co.uk/pacsaf...utm_medium=cpc

A small handbag with a metal shoulder strap is also fine, they cannot slit the strap with a knife.

Walk side by side, both bags together between you.

Simple basic precautions, you do not look a victim and they will leave you well alone.

They are looking for easy marks.

The piazza I directed you to is stunning, absolutely authentic and very cheap.

At the rear of the Parliament, it is used by the drivers, security and Carabineri.

It is incredibly safe, the Carabineri have their Assault Rifles on the table when they are having a coffee break.

You being a stunning blonde, you will be well looked after.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 08:28 PM

This is going to sound like the places are hot beds of thieves and cut throats...... they really aren't, but forewarned is forearmed........

You might get children approaching you, seemingly in distress. Ignore them, put up one hand , palm forward, , and say , in Italian, "No! Va via!" And then turn and walk away.

Some pickpockets use children as a distraction technique, and it is also the children who are the pickpockets.

But please, don't get too hung up by all this. The police are well aware of the dangers to tourists, and they don't want tourists to be threatened in any way, and so they keep a lid on it.
However, it pays to be aware of the various techniques, and keep your hand on your bag, etc. at all times.

To be honest, these are things I do everywhere, even in my own home town, which is pretty safe! It's just common sense!

By the way, I did use a backpack, but one with a double zip, so I could padlock it. However, I didn't keep anything valuable in it! That was in a money bag under my clothes next to my skin!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

01-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
This is going to sound like the places are hot beds of thieves and cut throats...... they really aren't, but forewarned is forearmed........

You might get children approaching you, seemingly in distress. Ignore them, put up one hand , palm forward, , and say , in Italian, "No! Va via!" And then turn and walk away.

Some pickpockets use children as a distraction technique, and it is also the children who are the pickpockets.

But please, don't get too hung up by all this. The police are well aware of the dangers to tourists, and they don't want tourists to be threatened in any way, and so they keep a lid on it.
However, it pays to be aware of the various techniques, and keep your hand on your bag, etc. at all times.

To be honest, these are things I do everywhere, even in my own home town, which is pretty safe! It's just common sense!

By the way, I did use a backpack, but one with a double zip, so I could padlock it. However, I didn't keep anything valuable in it! That was in a money bag under my clothes next to my skin!
Hi

I travel extensively.

Simple , basic precautions are so much better than the stress of being pick-pocketed.

It is a load of hassle to sort things out in a strange country.

Holidays are to be enjoyed and stress free.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 10:29 PM

I have to say that I didn't bother with bumbags or worrying any more than I would in the Uk about handbags. It was different in the 80s but last time I was there I was perfectly safe. I've never seen armed police in a cafe in Italy. The only place I saw a soldier's rifle on the table in a cafe was Jerusalem. They look after tourists, it's good revenue. I was last in Italy in 2016. The earthquakes were the only worry.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

02-06-2019, 06:20 AM

Good safety precautions indeed! Having traveled to Russia, Mexico, and a few other high-risk countries and cities, I've hopefully learned to be vigilant when it comes to petty crime. Handling my own luggage, knowing how to stave off would be petty criminals (including seemingly innocent children and older women), and like to think that I look confident and blend in without looking touristy. Thank you for the phrase in Italian, Pyxell! You all will laugh, but I never go to another country without having a mental map on how to get to my own embassy. I am ever aware that I am a guest in someone else's country.

The only time I knew of a situation in someone had a bag stolen was when a friend had her cross body back was cut cleanly away from her body in France. The ones with hooks attaching the straps to the bag are not good either for similar reasons. I like to carry a purse in my hand or right under my arm that has nothing more important in it than lip gloss, a comb, a guide book, and an umbrella, which a distraction from my essential items that I carry in a small thin hidden pocket under my clothes that is even smaller than a money belt. That's a very good design in that link, SF and prefer the wallet shape over the more common money belts.

It's interesting what you all said about guns. The only time I witnessed open guns here was right after 9-11. Refusing to back down to the terrorists, I immediately flew commercially with my then very young children. National Guard soldiers were stationed everywhere in the three major airports I visited. Even though I knew they were there for our safety, I made a conscious effort to always stand between the guardsmen and my twins.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top