Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 03:09 AM

Do you think a study of psychology is useful?

Some people think that psychology is a waste of time. I'm not one of those people.
ive learnt a lot studying:

Freud
Jung
Carl Rogers

There are more of course. i'm just giving a few examples.
I don't pretend to be an expert but there are so many interesting insights from people like Jung and Freud. Interesting that we never really know what is going on in that part of us called the Unconscious. Part of my life's goal is greater self-awareness. That will make some laugh here. but honestly if we can understand ourselves we can understand other people. Ive seen bad behaviour in others that was similar to mine. I can understand why they are doing it. Not that it makes it right. it is just that I might have some compassion.

The more we understand people the more disappointed we become? In humanity? Well actually I believe that some people are motivated by responsible civic behaviour. helping someone by the side of the road for instance. Cleaning up a mess expecting no gratitude not to be appreciated. Human beings can surprise us in a positive way too.
So yeah psychology is useful for me. it helps me understand literature and authors better too.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 03:55 AM

Re: Do you think a study of psychology is useful?

Yes I believe the study of psychology to be extremely useful.

There is more to the human mind than most believe possible but even just learning about human behaviour and the reasons why we might do crazy things like self sabotage or become compulsive people pleasers are things we need to know in order to help ourselves and others.

Although I don’t practice religion, I do study it and find it fascinating. Most religions have basic similarities and one of the main teachings is to ‘know thyself.’

By understanding ourselves we start practicing self awareness and with self awareness we become more aware of how we treat others and the reasons why we do the things we do so how could it not be important?

In my opinion, there is nothing more important to our survival as a species, than understanding what makes us ‘tick.’ As a species we need to know why we do certain things like kill each other and other living things, besides for food.

So yes, the study of psychology is not only useful but essential.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 04:03 AM

And I believe the more we understand human psychology and why we act like we do, the more compassion we have for our kind.

Everyone has their own story to tell and if we are willing to listen, people are willing to open up and share. There’s much to be learned by all!
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 04:07 AM

thanks bratti.
this thread might be more positive than the religious ones ��
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes I believe the study of psychology to be extremely useful.

There is more to the human mind than most believe possible but even just learning about human behaviour and the reasons why we might do crazy things like self sabotage or become compulsive people pleasers are things we need to know in order to help ourselves and others.

Although I don’t practice religion, I do study it and find it fascinating. Most religions have basic similarities and one of the main teachings is to ‘know thyself.’

By understanding ourselves we start practicing self awareness and with self awareness we become more aware of how we treat others and the reasons why we do the things we do so how could it not be important?

In my opinion, there is nothing more important to our survival as a species, than understanding what makes us ‘tick.’ As a species we need to know why we do certain things like kill each other and other living things, besides for food.

So yes, the study of psychology is not only useful but essential.
Excellent post, Bratti, I can relate to all of that - but you probably expressed it better.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:36 AM

Probably only useful to the people who study it. It means they can label and categorise others more easily, but I'm not really a fan of that. I think many would not like to be generalised and put in the same box.

I posted this video on another thread , but it was obvious that nobody viewed it.
Although it's more connected to psychiatry , I believe that they are intertwined .
It's to do with mental health by studying the brain from 83,000 brains. SPECT imaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPRsT-lmw8
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:51 AM

In a word, yes.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
And I believe the more we understand human psychology and why we act like we do, the more compassion we have for our kind.

Everyone has their own story to tell and if we are willing to listen, people are willing to open up and share. There’s much to be learned by all!
Very true Bratti. I'd also add listening is an art many don't employ they ask questions and questions and never stop to listen to the answer.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Probably only useful to the people who study it. It means they can label and categorise others more easily, but I'm not really a fan of that. I think many would not like to be generalised and put in the same box.

I posted this video on another thread , but it was obvious that nobody viewed it.
Although it's more connected to psychiatry , I believe that they are intertwined .
It's to do with mental health by studying the brain from 83,000 brains. SPECT imaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPRsT-lmw8
I've bookmarked it to look later PD it's over 14 minutes long and not got long this morning.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:04 AM

My youngest son has just got a first at uni in this subject,now going on for his masters. We going to along to Brighton soon for the award ceremony He already has a degree in business studies.
Eldest son also has a degree in graphic art and design.

Dad and mum have sod all

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top