Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 07:32 PM

Hedgehog

Caught the dog bouncing round one in the garden tonight.The first he'd ever seen and my first in at least 20 years.

You don't even see them dead on the roads any more.Looks like they're going the way of the song thrush....rarer and rarer.
Or is it just in my neck of the woods?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 07:48 PM

Re: Hedgehog

Well blow me!
Saturday night just gone.. we saw one foraging around for insects for aaaages on our front lawn!
Cutie pies they are!!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Well blow me!
Saturday night just gone.. we saw one foraging around for insects for aaaages on our front lawn!
Cutie pies they are!!!!

They certainly are.
I love to see them foraging about, but haven't seen any live ones for ages now.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 08:29 PM

We had a real big Hedgehog in our front garden about a week ago eating my Crab Apples that had fallen of our Tree.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 09:02 PM

Ooh!
Excited for hedgehog sightings now!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 09:33 PM

I have a couple that I know of. There were four that visited me last year, when the weather was very hot. I had put water out by the patio door and they needed a lot of it.
Then I put proper hedgehog food out for them next to the water, and they came every night until they hibernated, which was quite late.

This year I did the same, and they are back again, although I haven't seen four together yet.

Just a nightly routine, water and hedgehog food.

It's lovely to see them coming along the path, usually between 10pm and midnight. There's a baby with them this year. SO if you have them about, please put out water and food for them as they will always remember to come and grunt away as if it's a little feast. I don't put too much out because they do need to build up their fat reserves for winter and they need the slugs and other insects etc.

Contrary to popular belief, meal worms have no food value for them so not a good idea. The semi moist food is the favourite of my little guys and girls.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/32352686945...yABEgLwx_D_BwE
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 09:36 PM

You are lucky having your little visitors, Puddles.
So glad you look after them, they are getting so scarce.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You are lucky having your little visitors, Puddles.
So glad you look after them, they are getting so scarce.
I am sure that where there are gardens with access to other gardens and where they can travel through, there will be little hedgehogs.
For years I knew that they had a run through my garden,and they stick with the same run for years, but didn't know where from or where to, and never considered to do anything for them.
One hot summers night last year I was by the open patio door and I heard a most unusual sound, like a grating noise. So peeping out this huge hedgehog had managed to scrape it's way under my back gate. From then on I have fed and watered them.
I have a little hedgehog house now too, at the top of the garden as I know they head off in that direction and through to the neighbour. I think they can travel 2 to 3 km. at night. I think they used the house, but not 100% sure, as there are various tracks leading to it.

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

06-09-2019, 10:04 PM

If you put your postcode into the search box, it will show reported sighting in your area.( dead or alive)

You don't have to log in you can provide your own sightings by scrolling down and finding the corresponding box to click on

It quite interesting : https://bighedgehogmap.org/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-09-2019, 10:05 PM

You're doing a grand job, Puddles.

My Mum used to get them in her garden. She used to say about the funny little 'grunting' noises they made.

She used to get loads of frogs spawning in her pond every year as well, then in the spring you'd see lots of tiny babies in the grass and flower beds hopping about.
It was lovely, but always worried me when I went over to cut the grass for her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top