Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 10:07 PM

Re: Hedgehog

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
If you put your postcode into the search box, it will show reported sighting in your area.( dead or alive)

You don't have to log in you can provide your own sightings by scrolling down and finding the corresponding box to click on

It quite interesting : https://bighedgehogmap.org/

Blimey, looks like 175 have been sighted in this area.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You're doing a grand job, Puddles.

My Mum used to get them in her garden. She used to say about the funny little 'grunting' noises they made.

She used to get loads of frogs spawning in her pond every year as well, then in the spring you'd see lots of tiny babies in the grass and flower beds hopping about.
It was lovely, but always worried me when I went over to cut the grass for her.
Wildlife is just wonderful, and thankfully, young and old are now taking more interest in our natural world. We have to help when we can.
Next door had loads of frogs, not seen many for a long time now. I can remember the dog trying to catch one and without a word of a lie, it screamed !! It also escaped
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 02:19 AM

We get the odd hedgehog our way.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 08:11 AM

I caught one accidently in my humane rat trap .
Let it out and gave it some dog food which it ate poor thing .
Haven't seen it since .
No more traps I think my neighbour did for the rats .
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Managed a rather dark photo,there are two around at the moment.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=62823
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 08:55 AM

Contrary to popular belief, meal worms have no food value for them so not a good idea.

It's worse than that, a diet rich in mealworms can actually result in a loss of calcium in their bones leading to broken legs and death. Don't give them milk either.

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forum...any-mealworms/
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Caught the dog bouncing round one in the garden tonight.The first he'd ever seen and my first in at least 20 years.

You don't even see them dead on the roads any more.Looks like they're going the way of the song thrush....rarer and rarer.
Or is it just in my neck of the woods?
Such a coincidence Poodog, our dogs were yapping at one on the back lawn only four mornings ago, and like you I hadn't seen one in years..
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 10:00 AM

I have posted my hedgehog on the map last night and my hedgehog hole. ( stop it ! )

https://bighedgehogmap.org/

There are not so many sighting in my immediate area shown, but there does seem to be a route. (as mentioned earlier, hedgehogs keep to a route for years if they can).

Now I might be a little excited here and over assuming, but the positioning of the hedgehogs on the map when I enlarge it, follows a very old pathway that runs across the bottom of my garden and was used as far back as the 1800s by the farmers in the fields to the mill on the hill .
The fields are still there and the hill is still there although it now crosses a main road !

Could my imagination be running riot ? Might have to ask Hedgehog street.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 10:22 AM

I see loads of them dead on the roads every morning driving back from work. Pigeons and crows are usually pecking at them for breakfast
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2019, 12:17 PM

If you put your postcode into the search box, it will show reported sighting in your area.( dead or alive)

You don't have to log in you can provide your own sightings by scrolling down and finding the corresponding box to click on

It quite interesting : https://bighedgehogmap.org/
Well, I never .....

50 Holes and 252 hedgehogs were found in my postal area (7 in the immediate vicinity of my house) .....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top