Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 04:34 AM

Magpie Kills Man in Wollongong

We live in dangerous times.

A man has died while trying to avoid a swooping magpie in a park near Wollongong which has a history of attacks.

The 76-year-old was riding his bicycle in Woonona yesterday morning when the bird started to swoop so he rode off the path in an effort to escape.

He then crashed into a fence post, was thrown to the ground and suffered serious head injuries.

Locals performed CPR on him until an ambulance arrived, before he was airlifted to St George Hospital in a critical condition.

Despite medical efforts he died last night.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...onona/11515246

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 09:46 AM

Re: Magpie Kills Man in Wollongong

Strangely, Bruce, this was just reported on BBC News.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 09:58 AM

I just read this on the new. RIP that poor bloke and condolences to his family
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 11:00 PM

Well I never!
I have never seen Magpie's behave like that before.
Swans ... yes, but not Magpies.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 11:06 PM

Vile creatures that prey on other birds. Very common here but protected so you can't shoot them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Vile creatures that prey on other birds. Very common here but protected so you can't shoot them.

I didn't know Magpie's were protected, Ray?

Just found this from the RSPB though:

Many people wish to control magpies in gardens because they take eggs and chicks of other birds. Since research indicates that magpies do not pose a conservation problem to garden birds, the use of general licence in this context is at best debatable.

It must be remembered that if challenged, anyone killing magpies in their garden may have to prove to a court of law that they had acted lawfully. This may be difficult given the lack of scientific evidence that magpies affect the conservation of garden bird species.

Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...aPdDp3XH0R1.99
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 12:00 AM

As I understand it all wild birds are now protected

https://www.diy-pest-control.co.uk/l...tected-or-not/
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
The Australian magpie is not in the same family as the British.(I think they are crows)
It is well known for being an intelligent bird and can recognize familiar faces.We feed ours,so don't get any trouble.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Magpies here are related to the Butcher bird but I am pretty sure they are a sub specie of their own they are definitely not related to UK magpies the only thing they have in common is the colour.

To me the song of the magpie is the sound of Australia (along with the cicada), I love 'em even though I have been swooped a few times (and the bastard drew blood)

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 03:46 AM

I knew about kookaburras before I came but no one mentioned the ubiquitous magpie.We had one that would come in the kitchen,stand in front of the fridge and start singing.They live quite long and it's easy to build up some sort of relationship with them..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top