Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Re: Teachers working long hours

Once again, it's being overlooked that the reason why teachers have extensive holidays is because children have extensive holidays. Horse before the cart.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
We are discussing YOUR post about the easy times our teachers have.
Yes we all are. That's the purpose of the thread.
Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Once again, it's being overlooked that the reason why teachers have extensive holidays is because children have extensive holidays. Horse before the cart.
Back to square one.

Right across this forum today I'm finding a momentary lapse of reason
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Right across this forum today I'm finding a momentary lapse of reason
It took you long enough, but we knew you'd get there in the end!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 07:58 AM

I would not be a teacher today .
Their job is to impart knowledge not to be glorified babysitters .
Children need some basic training by their parents before they go to school.

I think children have too many holidays ditto university students .
They no longer work in the fields bringing in the harvest so why have long weeks in the summer ?

Airlines would not then ( perhaps ) put up their fares so much in school holidays .
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

12-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Children need some basic training by their parents before they go to school.

I think children have too many holidays ditto university students .
They no longer work in the fields bringing in the harvest so why have long weeks in the summer ?

Airlines would not then ( perhaps ) put up their fares so much in school holidays .
Tend to agree.

Although there is a considerable value for youngsters to spend time out of school learning about life and having a multitude of non-school based experiences, I'm not sure that the current trend of playing on computer games or watching TV is really much use. Also, the current model of long holidays partly assumes that there will be one parent available at home to supervise/care/partake the child. This isn't quite so much the case as yesteryear.

I'd certainly advocate an increase in the number of days attending a school, but not necessarily a proportionate amount of time in the number of lessons. A smaller number of lessons per day, coupled with additional non-class based activities (such as sport, practical life skills, community work, creative work) would make sense IMHO. These would be managed/led by people who aren't the usual teachers since they perform a different function and require a different relationship.

Currently, (in secondary school), a child is meant to attend 190 days pa, with and average of 5 lessons per day. I.e. 900 classes. Increase this to 1000 lessons, and moving the 4% of time allocated to PE/Games to the end of day activities (which makes even more sense due to the time "wasted" in getting changed into kit), with 4 class lessons per day means attendance for 250 days. Plus a significant increase in exam outcomes. Plus a decrease in the current need for class teachers to work extensive hours beyond the contracted ones.

Allowing children to attend family holidays could be relaxed, since they'd be missing fewer lessons per week, which isn't such a "hit".

Just need to somehow finance the additional staff for out-of-hours activities.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Teachers have taken far too much on themselves in recent years where interfering with families are concerned. With a lot of people the more that someone does for them the more that they expect which adds to the problems. Providing breakfasts for the kids is ludicrous no matter if the kids are coming to schools unprepared, instead child protection agencies should get involved. After school clubs should be 100% voluntary, providing meals during holiday periods is a sick joke, here again schools have assumed on themselves things that is none of their business.

As for teaching assistants, teachers should be in the front line where teaching kids is concerned and not delegating a thing that they should be doing.

Teachers have become far too "precious" and be doing what the prime function of their job. If they don't like what they are expected to do then GET ANOTHER JOB.

Now it may be thought that I'm deliberately trying to wind-up with my opinion and all I can say is that I'm not.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

12-10-2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Teachers have taken far too much on themselves in recent years where interfering with families are concerned.
Er, teachers have had these things dumped on them. They didn't choose!!

As for teaching assistants, teachers should be in the front line where teaching kids is concerned and not delegating a thing that they should be doing.
Er, these assistants have been brought in to help with those pupils who wouldn't normally be placed in large classroom environments.

Teachers have become far too "precious" and be doing what the prime function of their job. If they don't like what they are expected to do then GET ANOTHER JOB.
Many of them are, hence the low retention rates of newly qualified staff. Teachers want to teach, but have had an increasing amount of nonsense added onto their workload which obfuscates their focus.

Now it may be thought that I'm deliberately trying to wind-up with my opinion and all I can say is that I'm not.
Am sure you're not. However, you are talking out of your rear end. No offence
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

12-10-2019, 11:36 AM

As part of the job, teachers have to take part in "training" days/meetings. I've always looked at these with a principal question of "how can I use this to make me a better classroom practitioner?"

Alas, over the years, this seems to be increasingly forgotten as a purpose of training and I've had to sit through many an hour of listening to things which have absolutely zero impact on children's learning experiences.

Indeed, there have been a plethora of jobs/careers prospects made available which leads not to money for old rope, but money for no rope.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top