Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 08:26 PM

Re: Would You Use Garlic Grown In China?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
We are not utilising what arable land we do have, we are being told what to grow by the EU....And the farmers get subsidised to do it.
Thought that the CAP had been disbanded a few years ago.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Thought that the CAP had been disbanded a few years ago.
I don't know what that is Besoeker, I only know what I see with my own eyes having lived in the country all of my life...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't know what that is Besoeker, I only know what I see with my own eyes having lived in the country all of my life...
The common agricultural policy. Farmers were paid subsidies to grow stuff so they grew stuff that exceeded the market requirements. We ended up with butter mountains and wine lakes.

Then they were paid NOT to grow stuff and got subsidised for set aside land.

Stupidity beyond belief.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The common agricultural policy. Farmers were paid subsidies to grow stuff so they grew stuff that exceeded the market requirements. We ended up with butter mountains and wine lakes.

Then they were paid NOT to grow stuff and got subsidised for set aside land.

Stupidity beyond belief.
Ah yes I remember that now Besoeker, just madness....
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 03:19 AM

(Satire)
A friend of mine!
Minister of Agriculture

Dear Sir,
My friend, who is in farming at the moment, recently received a cheque for 3000 Euro from the Rural Payments Agency for not rearing pigs. I would also like to be involved with not breeding pigs.
What is the best kind of farm to not rear pigs on, and which is the best breed of pigs not to rear? I want to be sure that I approach this endeavour in keeping with all government policies, as dictated by the EU under the Common Agricultural Policy.
I would prefer not to rear bacon pigs , but if this is not the type you want not rearing, I will just as gladly rear porkers. Are there any advantages in not rearing rare breeds like Saddlebacks or Gloucester Old Spots or are there already too many people not rearing them.
As I see it, the hardest part will be keeping an accurate record of how many pigs I haven’t reared. Are there any government or Local authority courses on this?
My friend is very satisfied with his business. He has been rearing pigs for 40 years or so, and the best he ever made was 1422 pounds in 1968, until this year when he received a cheque for not rearing any.

If I get 3000Euro for not rearing 50 pigs, will I get 6000Euro for not rearing 100pigs? I plan to operate on a small scale at first, holding myself down to 4000 pigs not raised, which will mean about 240,000Euro for the first year. As I become more expert in not rearing pigs, I plan to be more ambitious, perhaps increasing to say, 40,000 pigs not reared in my 2nd year, for which I should expect about 2.4million Euro from your department.

Incidentally, I wonder if I would be eligible to receive carbon credits for all the those pigs not producing harmful and polluting methane gas?

Another point: These pigs that I plan not to rear will not eat 2000 tonnes of cereals. I understand that you also pay farmers for not growing crops. Will I qualify for payments for not growing cereals to not feed the pigs I don’t rear?

In view of the above you will realise that I will be totally unemployed and will therefore qualify for unemployment benefits.

I shall, of course, be voting for your party in the next general election.
Yours faithfully…..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 07:30 AM

Absolutely brilliant, Cidarman. Thank you for kick starting my day with a laugh!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Yea thanks from me too Ciderman, just when the world starts getting a bit too intense a great piece of humour comes along and defuses it........Good Job!...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
(Satire)
A friend of mine!
Minister of Agriculture

Dear Sir,
My friend, who is in farming at the moment, recently received a cheque for 3000 Euro from the Rural Payments Agency for not rearing pigs. I would also like to be involved with not breeding pigs.
What is the best kind of farm to not rear pigs on, and which is the best breed of pigs not to rear? I want to be sure that I approach this endeavour in keeping with all government policies, as dictated by the EU under the Common Agricultural Policy.
I would prefer not to rear bacon pigs , but if this is not the type you want not rearing, I will just as gladly rear porkers. Are there any advantages in not rearing rare breeds like Saddlebacks or Gloucester Old Spots or are there already too many people not rearing them.
As I see it, the hardest part will be keeping an accurate record of how many pigs I haven’t reared. Are there any government or Local authority courses on this?
My friend is very satisfied with his business. He has been rearing pigs for 40 years or so, and the best he ever made was 1422 pounds in 1968, until this year when he received a cheque for not rearing any.

If I get 3000Euro for not rearing 50 pigs, will I get 6000Euro for not rearing 100pigs? I plan to operate on a small scale at first, holding myself down to 4000 pigs not raised, which will mean about 240,000Euro for the first year. As I become more expert in not rearing pigs, I plan to be more ambitious, perhaps increasing to say, 40,000 pigs not reared in my 2nd year, for which I should expect about 2.4million Euro from your department.

Incidentally, I wonder if I would be eligible to receive carbon credits for all the those pigs not producing harmful and polluting methane gas?

Another point: These pigs that I plan not to rear will not eat 2000 tonnes of cereals. I understand that you also pay farmers for not growing crops. Will I qualify for payments for not growing cereals to not feed the pigs I don’t rear?

In view of the above you will realise that I will be totally unemployed and will therefore qualify for unemployment benefits.

I shall, of course, be voting for your party in the next general election.
Yours faithfully…..
Ciderman, I thought it was brilliant too and very clever.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top