Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 07:37 PM

Re: Fake News With Brexit Related Polls

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Can you supply examples of the EU turning against the UK? The whole world observes brits turning against each other, in the parliament, in the courts, on televion and in the streets. And they observe the EU waiting for the british to come up with something sensible.
Sorry Solasch, we're in danger of going off topic here, going round in circles.

You are absolutely right of course, but there's an upside: Britain is showing the world we are still a free country, able to argue this out in parliament while peacefully demonstrating on the streets.

We're getting nowhere but the world's enjoying the visuals.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
We're getting nowhere but the world's enjoying the visuals.
Not to be cynic, but political reporting never was so entertaining as in previous year and a half.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
I can't speak in regards to Brexit or Remain, but I do know that over on this side of the pond, "Fake News" is a recent addition to our political scene. The true meaning is "anything reported, that disagrees with one's policy, or criticism of an individual" is Fake News - - -TO THAT PERSON OR PARTY. To the rest of the world it may be suspect or not, depending on their pre-conceived bias regarding the press. It is slowly becoming a part of our everyday life.

i'd hate to think of what reporting would have been like in WWII if every setback of our forces, reported in the news (of that day) would have immediately been followed by the cries of "Fake News" by our military commanders.
They called it "propaganda" and spoke in hushed tones.

We're all so mouthy, indiscrete and demanding nowadays,
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

27-09-2019, 07:43 PM

Not to be cynic, but political reporting never was so entertaining as in previous year and a half.

You ain't seen nothing yet.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 10:13 PM

DaveA it may come as a surprise to you, but in ww2 neither the germans nor the allies reported on setbacks. The military commanders saw to that. First not to give the enemy intelligence on its succes, and second not to demoralize the own troops and home front.
The bbc had broadcasting in all european languages reporting about the onmarch of the allied forces. It gave hope to occupied countries and demoralized the germans (bbc broadcasted in german too).
Yes Solasch,in re-reading my post I did state it badly. And, yes, I was aware of the "put a good face on it" for the sake of keeping the spirits up. what I was trying to point out (and did it poorly) was that the reporting back then was similar and censored. With today's news, as the Brexit discussion shows, a portion of the press or broadcast entities are manufacturing outright lies or opinionated examples that seem wildly out of touch with reality, and only appeals to the different sides of the arguments.

One person's "factual report" is another person's BS and so it goes. I don't recall exhilarating victories and dismal defeats (back then) being used to describe the same battle reports on the same day by dueling news agencies and I doubt if it would have been done even without the censorship by the military.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
Yes Solasch,in re-reading my post I did state it badly. And, yes, I was aware of the "put a good face on it" for the sake of keeping the spirits up. what I was trying to point out (and did it poorly) was that the reporting back then was similar and censored. With today's news, as the Brexit discussion shows, a portion of the press or broadcast entities are manufacturing outright lies or opinionated examples that seem wildly out of touch with reality, and only appeals to the different sides of the arguments.

One person's "factual report" is another person's BS and so it goes. I don't recall exhilarating victories and dismal defeats (back then) being used to describe the same battle reports on the same day by dueling news agencies and I doubt if it would have been done even without the censorship by the military.
So far, what I have seen, it is more often a report on one (wo)men's statement that splashed in the headlines, presented as true. The statement being incorrect, incomplete or false.
The fake news here is attributable to persons, not a paper making things up. What you can observe is certain papers giving predominantly opportunity to people on one side of the discussion.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 01:32 PM

So far, what I have seen, it is more often a report on one (wo)men's statement that splashed in the headlines, presented as true. The statement being incorrect, incomplete or false.
The fake news here is attributable to persons, not a paper making things up. What you can observe is certain papers giving predominantly opportunity to people on one side of the discussion.
Likewise electronic media Solly!
Even Algazeera is pro remain now! Dont even mention our
Independent BBC!!!
Donkeyman!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

28-09-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Likewise electronic media Solly!
Even Algazeera is pro remain now! Dont even mention our
Independent BBC!!!
Donkeyman!
Even for al jazeera it is difficult to keep denying the facts, donks. The number of people believing leaving the EU is a clever move, is hard in decline. You are one of the last...

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top