Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 02:27 PM

Don't Blame Us For The Mess, Guv.

Just reading the James Forsyth column in the Sun. What do you think of this?

“Extension means Extinction” used to be one of Boris Johnson’s catchphrases.

He was convinced that if the Tory party didn’t get the UK out of the European Union on October 31, the party would be toast.

But those close to him are becoming more confident they COULD survive a further extension - as long as it was clear the Prime Minister had done everything in his power to avoid it.

No 10 is still looking for a loophole in the Benn Act. They are struck by the fact that its provisions do not kick in until October 19.

This means it does not set out how Boris must behave at the European Council immediately before that. He would be within his rights to use that summit to tell EU leaders he doesn’t want an extension.

In reality, even if they think they have found a loophole, the courts are likely to strike it down.
However, if the courts force Boris to seek an extension, Leave-supporting voters are less likely to see this as a betrayal.

The same goes if the EU offers an extension to anything other than January 31 next year, the date set out in the Benn Act. In these circumstances, Parliament would have to vote on whether to accept the extension.

Boris would then whip Tory MPs to oppose it. He would almost certainly lose the vote, as the Government doesn’t have a majority any more.

But he would be able to go into a General Election majoring on the fact that he and his MPs had voted against the extension, while the Opposition voted for it.

He would argue this shows the Tories are the only party who want to get Brexit done.

UNQUOTE

Well Boris, I have news for you! Failure to take us out as pledged by you, on the 31st October 2019, or “DIE IN A DITCH” - still holds dear for myself and millions of other leavers. Ever heard the saying.. You can fool all the people SOME of the time, and SOME of the people all the time, but you cannot fool ALL of the people ALL of the time.

If you seriously think that you can win the GE by informing the people that you tried your best to get it done but were foiled by the opposition, is enough to guarantee you a landslide victory in a General Election, it’s time someone put you right damn quickly.

If we do not get Brexit as promised by 31st October, no amount of excuses will work.
We have heard all this flannel before with May. I for one, am not prepared to take any more from you as well.

The people have had enough! They are no longer ignorant plebs willing to believe anything that politicians promise them in order to get what benefits themselves.
Fail us yet again and even you are going to be shocked. Contrary to your belief that people will be fooled into thinking you are the good guy and vote for you, You will find that the people will instead vote for the only party that they truly trust, The Brexit Party.

I suggest back to the drawing board for you. Tick Tock, Tick Tock.
You have more to fear from we, the people, than the opposition.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 03:41 PM

Re: Don't Blame Us For The Mess, Guv.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just reading the James Forsyth column in the Sun. What do you think of this?
He could resign, let the others show their true colours.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 03:43 PM

Hear hear S.G.

We need to be OUT by Oct 31st come hell or high water...
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Hear hear S.G.

We need to be OUT by Oct 31st come hell or high water...
As long as there is a pm in office, this pm has to request an extension. The benn bill doesn't specify a name. Only boris resigning offers a slim chance of a no deal brexit, but will boris make such a sacrifice for his country?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 03:58 PM

I cannot reply, to this, right at the moment as I have got John Major studying every word I write.

If there's a loophole, I hope he falls into it!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
As long as there is a pm in office, this pm has to request an extension. The benn bill doesn't specify a name. Only boris resigning offers a slim chance of a no deal brexit, but will boris make such a sacrifice for his country?
If he does fall on his sword, the conspirators Corbyn, Sturgeon and Swinson will try and form a caretaker government to force an extension and try and cancel A50. This is the cowards way out - they refused a vote of no confidence in the government because it would have meant a GE which they would all lose.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 04:41 PM

If we don't leave on 31st I predict trouble on the streets I am trying to calm people I know at the moment to stop them going to london to protest. I don't see it ending well if they did go.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 05:04 PM

Strange how quiet the ERG are. It's almost like there is a news blackout.

Anyone else noticed ?

I thought they would have been jumping up and down over the past weeks scandals in the Supreme Kangaroo Court and House of Remainers
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If we don't leave on 31st I predict trouble on the streets I am trying to calm people I know at the moment to stop them going to london to protest. I don't see it ending well if they did go.
I do think it needs some public demo to show our support
for Nigel, and give the final shove to push us over the line?
But l think it should be local demos, not one big one due
to the us having to travel down to London? So we need some
local organisers in all the major towns!
If we manage to get bthis going the protests should be
peaceful, and we should carry some means of identifying
who we are, such as an umbrella or something Julie?

Regards Donkeyman!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

28-09-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What in your view would be a legal, practical and viable way to leave on october 31?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top