Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Re: Scotland Ban Smacking

When we get the correct algorithm, mental cruelty may be obliterated also.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I imagine we are all old enough to remember corporal punishment in schools. In Scotland it was the tawse or Lochgelly, a three fingered thick leather strap often known as Dr Brown administered to the open palm of the miscreant. Personally I was delighted when it first happened to me as I was now one of the boys. Now it seems you're one of the boys when you punch your teacher.
Many on here will also probably remember a form of corporal punishment that was not stopped until some years after corporal punishment was stopped in England – the Birch on the Isle of Man. I was over there some 40 plus years' ago and in discussion it was reckoned not many punished for a crime by being birched ever came back for more. From that it would appear to have been an effective deterrent, until the Human Rights Court became responsible for its demise in 1976.

https://www.corpun.com/manx.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birching
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yes, you are correct it was made illegal a while ago except under certain circumstances, see link below which explains more:

https://www.localsolicitors.com/fami...ing-your-child

If it is a childminder or nursery worker looking after other people's children it is illegal under any circumstances, unless the parent has given permission, for that to happen:

https://childlawadvice.org.uk/inform...king-children/
Thanks Baz.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 01:09 AM

Here we go again. I remember the last time I got involved in this discussion. After a few exchanges I wished I'd never turned the computer on that day. However..just one contribution this time. Long story short I have no idea whether smacking a child is necessary for effective discipline or not. But in line with others here I will say there is a big difference between a short, light sudden tap accompanied by a sharp loud order of "NO!"...and a hard whack..or worse.. that hurts and really frightens a child. And any sensible law enforcer will have this in the forefront of their mind when it comes to child discipline. Anybody who interferes with a parent doing the former is an idiot and should butt out. THat is the limit of any physicality we employed with our son who has never been whacked by either or us or anybody else in his life. And he is one of the finest, most well mannered and decent young gentlemen you could ever wish to meet. It depends on the kid and whether anger is involved. I don't think the occasional whack will "hurt" anybody no. But I definitely think you can effectively raise a child without hitting them.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 04:55 AM

If a child is about to put his/her hand in a fire, a short slap of the wrist is more likely to produce a quick response of withdrawal than attempting to manhandle out of harms way, or a verbal berating/explanation/discussion of the potential damage that the child's action is likely to cause.

Presumably, in Scotland, I could now be prosecuted for preventing my child from harming him/herself by following this course of reflex action even though there is no anger involved.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Baz.
You are welcome, Longdogs.

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
– Snip –

It depends on the kid and whether anger is involved. I don't think the occasional whack will "hurt" anybody no. But I definitely think you can effectively raise a child without hitting them.
With smacking it's the adult's 'anger' element that is a major part of the problem, as well as the psychological harm. Just compare the size of an adult to a small child, add to that a parent who is maybe in a bad mood or perhaps 'driven to distraction' by a disobedient child. Then a 'smack' which to an adult is just that but to the small child that would probably be a heavy blow with a very damaging effect physically.

As keezoy writes it's possible to raise a child without hitting them.

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
If a child is about to put his/her hand in a fire, a short slap of the wrist is more likely to produce a quick response of withdrawal than attempting to manhandle out of harms way, or a verbal berating/explanation/discussion of the potential damage that the child's action is likely to cause.

Presumably, in Scotland, I could now be prosecuted for preventing my child from harming him/herself by following this course of reflex action even though there is no anger involved.
In those circumstances, exactly the same as if it involved an adult occasioning assault, I would expect the law to consider that in mitigation for those actions.

There is more information on this subject on the link below if anyone is interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-49908849
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Problem I have with blanket bans is they never take into account children are all different. I have never hit any of ours I prefer the sit them down bore them to death why they were wrong approach which seems to work with mine. But I know when I was smacked as a child it did no harm and it was deserved. I also know my grandfather and my husband were beaten badly and didn't / couldn't deserve that.

I also worry it might drive it all into the home where no one witnesses it. I always think seeing someone hit a child in public might mean it's worse with no witnesses but now we won't know who to watch out for.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Oh maybe it is then, I didn't know when I wrote the post. Should have gone my research
No, it's OK LQ, I heard about Scotland making it illegal on the TV news.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-10-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I imagine we are all old enough to remember corporal punishment in schools. In Scotland it was the tawse or Lochgelly, a three fingered thick leather strap often known as Dr Brown administered to the open palm of the miscreant. Personally I was delighted when it first happened to me as I was now one of the boys. Now it seems you're one of the boys when you punch your teacher.
One of our teachers would virtually jump up into the air when administering a rap across the knuckles with a ruler.
Baz46

04-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
One of our teachers would virtually jump up into the air when administering a rap across the knuckles with a ruler.
That's nothing by comparison to my maths teacher. He used to clear almost a complete row of desks, leaving just one over which the pupil had to bend, face down. The teacher would then use the 'run-up' of where the desks had been removed to administer either the cane or slipper across the backside of that pupil!

That was extremely painful, I know as I was often that pupil. Then that teacher wondered why, one lunchtime when he returned to his car parked behind a wall next to the playground, he found all the windows smashed!

Karma! – No, it wasn't me who did that but there was quite a wide choice of pupils he had used the cane or slipper on!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top