Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Galloway2019
Galloway, Scotland
Galloway2019 is male  Galloway2019 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 03:39 PM

Home Airfreshener's

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a home air freshener that actually lasts a while (not aerosols) I have tried loads that smell nice when you remove them from the packaging but after a day they hardly smell. I want them for putting in a few spare rooms that don't get used and also a long corridor. I have put dehumidifiers in each room to keep damp air out but would also be nice if they smelt fresh when you walk in the room. I do try and leave the room doors open as much as possible but due to pets i usually close them also the dehumidifiers work better with the doors closed.
Also can anyone recommend anything for removing mould off a silk painted ceiling as in two corners i tend to get dark'ish marks that will wash off but would like something that kills any mould spores. I cannot access the roof space above where the marks are but my loft is fully insulated and think it might be due to it being on an outside wall?
Cheers
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 04:38 PM

Re: Home Airfreshener's

A family member keeps two large dogs so needs to have a air freshener that works reasonably well, she uses those that automatically spray a small amount at preset intervals. These seem to work alright and are widely available, see links below for more information which may be of help to you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/automatic-a...ener+dispenser

https://bestreviews.com/best-air-fresheners

No experience of removing black mould except for once when I used bleach to rid bathroom wall tiles of black mould on the grouting, that worked alright.

There is information on this link regarding removal of black mould:

https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/floor...rom-walls.html
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 05:51 PM

Baz, it is because I've got 5 dogs that I won't use those things. I do not want them inhaling the chemicals with their extraordinary sensitive noses.
Do any of those reviews guarantee they are safe around pets?

This is why I have washable floors all through my kitchen and hallway, which I mop frequently (with Eco floor wash), and open my windows and back door every day - weather permitting to let the sunshine and fresh air in.

Their bedding is also thoroughly washed each week, so there should be no need for dogs to smell.

Here is just a quick snippet, but there is loads of info if you google it, Galloway.

Are air fresheners harmful to dogs

" Although researchers aren't certain how toxic these are for our pets, there is evidence that air fresheners can cause respiratory illnesses and stomach upsets, and in more extreme cases, damage to the kidneys, liver and central nervous system. "(27 Mar 2018)
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 05:55 PM

We use refillable plug in units.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Astonish do a good one . https://www.google.com/search?q=asto...11fAP97iX-Ag22

I think air freshners are under suspicion for causing all kinds of things to us humans .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 06:08 PM

Wax melts are lovely and there are pet friendly ones put there
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Astonish do a good one . https://www.google.com/search?q=asto...11fAP97iX-Ag22

I think air freshners are under suspicion for causing all kinds of things to us humans .

I don't doubt it for one minute, Zuleiker.

This is a rather lengthy article about all sorts of scents used in people's homes, and how harmful they are to our pets, so I don't see why the same can't apply to us:

https://www.preventivevet.com/cats/s...l-to-your-pets
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
We use refillable plug in units.
Same here.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Baz, it is because I've got 5 dogs that I won't use those things. I do not want them inhaling the chemicals with their extraordinary sensitive noses.
Do any of those reviews guarantee they are safe around pets?

This is why I have washable floors all through my kitchen and hallway, which I mop frequently (with Eco floor wash), and open my windows and back door every day - weather permitting to let the sunshine and fresh air in.

Their bedding is also thoroughly washed each week, so there should be no need for dogs to smell.

Here is just a quick snippet, but there is loads of info if you google it, Galloway.

Are air fresheners harmful to dogs

"Although researchers aren't certain how toxic these are for our pets, there is evidence that air fresheners can cause respiratory illnesses and stomach upsets, and in more extreme cases, damage to the kidneys, liver and central nervous system."(27 Mar 2018)
Personally I don't have dogs nowadays as I cannot walk them enough. I know nothing about anything like that as I last owned a dog 40 years' ago probably when those products were not available. However, I very much doubt that family member would use anything that would harm the dogs, she really dotes on them and would do anything for them.

It's not unwashed bedding that causes the odours, it's the dogs' ear problems as they are prone to these. Even cleaning them every day doesn't cure them. Personally I wouldn't have either that breed of dog or allow them the run of the house either but that's me and what I believe in.

I'm sure that if Galloway has read your post, or perhaps already has knowledge of your timely post, then any product purchased will be checked out first.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2019, 07:56 PM

I use an electric diffuser,they neutralise the smells,the essential oil isn't over powering either...they are expensive ,but well worth it.

At the moment I am using Lime essential oil,you put the water in first,then you add around 8drops of the oil.leaves the room feeling beautifully refreshed.

Again the oils can be expensive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top