Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 07:45 PM

Re: Diplomatic Immunity

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think she did stop and the police spoke to her.
You are right Artangel - the woman did stop
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 07:48 PM

She was driving on the wrong side of the road, he was on his motorbike on the right side of the road.
So tell me who was in the wrong?
Not quite. CCTV showed her to be driving on the right hand side of the road just prior to the collision. The motorcyclist was approaching in the opposite direction.

You can have no way of knowing what precisely happened, or what the motorcyclist may have done that contributed to whatever it was that happened.

Only two people know exactly what happened, and one of those is dead.

So - back to the claim that 'they' are getting away with all sorts. Please can you tell us, GS, who - and what?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by artangel ->
she was driving on the wrong side of the road, he was on his motorbike on the right side of the road.
So tell me who was in the wrong?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 07:50 PM

Up until now, I had no idea that it only applied in the Country they are visiting and not when they return to their own Country
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-10-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Katerina ->
Not quite. CCTV showed her to be driving on the right hand side of the road just prior to the collision. The motorcyclist was approaching in the opposite direction.

You can have no way of knowing what precisely happened, or what the motorcyclist may have done that contributed to whatever it was that happened.

So - back to your claim that 'they' are getting away with all sorts. Please can you tell us who - and what?
What is it for if it is not to 'get away' with stuff? That's the whole point isn't it?
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What is it for if it is not to 'get away' with stuff? That's the whole point isn't it?
It is basically because embassies are considered to be part of the country they represent, not the country they are in. Not all staff are covered, and not all dependents of staff who are covered are similarly covered.

From Wiki -
Diplomatic immunity is a form of legal immunity that ensures diplomats are given safe passage and are considered not susceptible to lawsuit or prosecution under the host country's laws, but they can still be expelled. Modern diplomatic immunity was codified as international law in the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961) which has been ratified by all but a handful of nations. The concept and custom of diplomatic immunity dates back thousands of years. Many principles of diplomatic immunity are now considered to be customary law. Diplomatic immunity was developed to allow for the maintenance of government relations, including during periods of difficulties and armed conflict. When receiving diplomats, who formally represent the sovereign, the receiving head of state grants certain privileges and immunities to ensure they may effectively carry out their duties, on the understanding that these are provided on a reciprocal basis.

However, that still does not answer my question regarding the assertion that 'they' are 'getting away with all sorts' - an answer to that has not yet been forthcoming
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 07:56 PM

*So - back to your claim that 'they' are getting away with all sorts. Please can you tell us who - and what?

Katerina, *l didn’t say the last sentence at all.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-10-2019, 07:58 PM

It is basically because embassies are considered to be part of the country they represent, not the country they are in. Not all staff are covered, and not all dependents of staff who are covered are similarly covered.

From Wiki -
Diplomatic immunity is a form of legal immunity that ensures diplomats are given safe passage and are considered not susceptible to lawsuit or prosecution under the host country's laws, but they can still be expelled. Modern diplomatic immunity was codified as international law in the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961) which has been ratified by all but a handful of nations. The concept and custom of diplomatic immunity dates back thousands of years. Many principles of diplomatic immunity are now considered to be customary law. Diplomatic immunity was developed to allow for the maintenance of government relations, including during periods of difficulties and armed conflict. When receiving diplomats, who formally represent the sovereign, the receiving head of state grants certain privileges and immunities to ensure they may effectively carry out their duties, on the understanding that these are provided on a reciprocal basis.

However, that still does not answer my question regarding the assertion that 'they' are 'getting away with all sorts' - an answer to that has not yet been forthcoming
I suppose it is impossible to answer that because anything they have got away with, we wouldn't know about.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose it is impossible to answer that because anything they have got away with, we wouldn't know about.

But it is a claim that GS made when he opened this thread - so if he says that, then he surely has some knowledge wouldn't you say . . .or does he?
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 07:59 PM

Katerina, *l didn’t say the last sentence at all.
Yes my apologies for that Artangel, I have edited my post to show who said it.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top