Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 01:05 PM

Re: Ominous News!!

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I don't think it is either DM. I would like an FTA but it would have to be a "no strings attached" arrangement. I doubt thats possible with the EU cretins.

We should be telling them about access to our single market and our standards etc.
Exactly that!

If the EU carry on I really do think that they are going to give themselves one huge amount of trouble and not just from us but from their own disaffected citizens.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Excuse me butting in Bread! But l am not convinced that a trade
"deal" is really beneficial for uk, other than the inconvenience of
changing our suppliers??
EU only comprises approx 12% of UK trade world wide and so is
actually being subsidised by our non eu trade to the tune of
£100 billion if you include our club fees?
So for me its a no brainer !!
Indeed.
I have said many times that I'd prefer to leave without a FTA with the EU.
I'm also absolutely sure that, given a year or two, THEY will come to US begging for a free trade deal.

Why?
Because they have been relying on our generous payments (for nothing in return) for 40 years, to say nothing of our fish! I really don't think that they could survive without us.

Yes, individually, Germany alone could compete with us, and possibly the Frogs, but we must remember that the EU comprises a large number of poor countries which need to be 'carried' by the richer nations and which would therefore hold them back.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 01:43 PM

I'm not sure that this is the intervention that some media meant.

Boris today said:
' "Our position on fish hasn’t changed. We’ll only be able to make progress if the EU accepts the reality that we must be able to control access to our waters and it’s very important at this stage to emphasise that,” he told parliament. '
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN2851NM?il=0

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I'm not sure that this is the intervention that some media meant.

Boris today said:
' "Our position on fish hasn’t changed. We’ll only be able to make progress if the EU accepts the reality that we must be able to control access to our waters and it’s very important at this stage to emphasise that,” he told parliament. '
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN2851NM?il=0

Boris seems steadfast! I hope the same can be said of the rump of
the tory party??

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK

25-11-2020, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Boris seems steadfast! I hope the same can be said of the rump of
the tory party??

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Well something has to give because the very latest is this:
"The EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, has warned David Frost that without a major negotiating shift by Downing Street within the next 48 hours he will pull out of the Brexit negotiations in London this weekend, pushing the talks into a fresh crisis."

Time to call their bluff.
They know that we will not cede sovereignty and to ask any country to do so outside a time of war is unconscionable.
Either way it looks like the next few days are the decider.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...al-brexit-deal
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 05:56 PM

"The EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, has warned David Frost that without a major negotiating shift by Downing Street within the next 48 hours he will pull out of the Brexit negotiations in London this weekend, pushing the talks into a fresh crisis."
Perhaps I'm just a bit thick, but I really don't understand how pulling out of the Brexit negotiations could possibly create a crisis!

Rather than a crisis, I'd suggest a celebration.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 06:58 PM

Time to call their bluff.
They know that we will not cede sovereignty and to ask any country to do so outside a time of war is unconscionable.
Either way it looks like the next few days are the decider.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...al-brexit-deal
Hip! Hip! Hooray! Why couldnt he do this 4yrs ago for christs sake??
How long will this 48hrs take l wonder??

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps I'm just a bit thick, but I really don't understand how pulling out of the Brexit negotiations could possibly create a crisis!

Rather than a crisis, I'd suggest a celebration.

I'm with you JBR

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top