Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 04:54 PM

Taxpayer still liable for Eurostar ??

Despite selling our shares in Eurostar British taxpayers are probably
going to have to shellout £80 million into the money the French
government has allready paid to bail out the ailing company ??
This is due to a legal clause in our old contract with the company ?
Why the hell do we sign all these contracts in such a careless manner? Who signs them ?
I assume it was one of our highly paid and cosseted civil servants ?

Donkeyman! 👎👎👎
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 06:45 PM

Re: Taxpayer still liable for Eurostar ??

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Despite selling our shares in Eurostar British taxpayers are probably
going to have to shellout £80 million into the money the French
government has allready paid to bail out the ailing company ??
This is due to a legal clause in our old contract with the company ?
Why the hell do we sign all these contracts in such a careless manner? Who signs them ?
I assume it was one of our highly paid and cosseted civil servants ?

Donkeyman! 👎👎👎
"Probably"?
According to whom exactly?
It looks like more media rubbish to me, or rather it would do only there's no sign of what you are suggesting in any of the reliable media sources I have seen.

If you're going to post potentially inflammatory stuff like this you really should at least make an attempt to provide a source for it.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 06:47 PM

I have no doubt there would be a indemnity clause in the contract whereby the company can claim compensation if the company suffered financial losses due to no fault of their own at the hands of a 3rd party. Due to the governments pandemic restrictions, they effectively prevented Eurostar from operating. Therefore if such a clause exists in the contract, Eurostar can claim compensation from the UK government
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 07:28 PM

Eurostar warned in January that it is in a “very critical” state and could run out of cash by the summer.

Appearing before the Transport Select Committee of MPs, Shapps said: “Eurostar is a majority state-owned French company, with some Belgian and some French Canadian ownership.”

“We’ll look to be helpful but we don’t own the company. We sold our shares. It’s a French issue. Eurostar has SNCF, the French state railway, behind it.”

The UK government sold its 40% stake in Eurostar for £750 million in 2015, leaving the rail operator majority owned by SNCF with 55%.

The French government has made €200 million in emergency funding available, but French ministers argue the UK should play a part in providing additional funding.
You can shove your Eurostar where the sun don't shine yer froggie gits.
You won't be getting any of my taxers thats for sure. I suggest you go cap in hand to the Canadians they have most of our lottery money in their coffers.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
"Probably"?
According to whom exactly?
It looks like more media rubbish to me, or rather it would do only there's no sign of what you are suggesting in any of the reliable media sources I have seen.

If you're going to post potentially inflammatory stuff like this you really should at least make an attempt to provide a source for it.
Oh, hello again Zaphod!
Try your favourite The Daily Telegraph ??
Google UK taxpayer still liable for Eurostar debt !!
I think your googling fingers got cramp ?

Donkeyman! 👍🤗🤗👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

26-05-2021, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
I have no doubt there would be a indemnity clause in the contract whereby the company can claim compensation if the company suffered financial losses due to no fault of their own at the hands of a 3rd party. Due to the governments pandemic restrictions, they effectively prevented Eurostar from operating. Therefore if such a clause exists in the contract, Eurostar can claim compensation from the UK government
Then we must fight it Dodge , covid came along AFTER we had sold
our shares !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2021, 07:48 PM

Hey DM I reckon them Frenchies have got De Gall to assume we will pay anything towards their choo choo.
Personally I am still in favour of blowing up that tunnel or perhaps start charging them rent on using this side of the track.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

26-05-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Hey DM I reckon them Frenchies have got De Gall to assume we will pay anything towards their choo choo.
Personally I am still in favour of blowing up that tunnel or perhaps start charging them rent on using this side of the track.
Ha! Ha! Not bad Longfella!
You got me thinking now , did de Gaulle get his name from De Gaulle's
or did de Gaulle's get their name from De Gaulle??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Oh, hello again Zaphod!
Try your favourite The Daily Telegraph ??
Google UK taxpayer still liable for Eurostar debt !!
I think your googling fingers got cramp ?

Donkeyman! 👍🤗🤗👍
There is nothing wrong with my fingers DM unlike yours which show either a remarkable inability or a remarkable reluctance to tap the keyboards and provide evidence of what your OP's suggest.
Can you really not even post a link?
Still?

FYI the Telegraph very clearly says what the supposed problem is and as others have posted, your rather fanciful imagination provides absolutely nothing like the real picture.
"Can" is an awful lot different to "will" you know.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 09:49 AM

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...2025-hdqc7hrbv

Taxpayers could foot the bill for an enduring post-pandemic slump in Eurostar services over the next four years.

Always read the small print, guess politicians don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top