Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:56 PM

Re: I feel sad!

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I feel the same Tabby, like lemmings, people would rather throw themselves into the path of the traffic rather than pass me too closely....I thought they were joking at first....
Joggers are so annoying. Particularly when you are walking a dog!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Went for a short walk - well, a mile anyway - to the local Spar as I had run out of potatoes and Sainsbury's aren't due until Friday. Was watching people in the streets there and back.

People who would normally stop and chat or, at least, say 'Hello' were leaping into doorways and onto drives to avoid each other.

While I appreciate the reasons and know we all have a duty to keep ourselves and others safe from the plague - it just made me feel very sad!

I have noticed this, and thought much the same as you, Tabby. What a sad way of going on.

One or two don't seem to give a damn, but the majority give each other a wide berth without saying a word.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 12:04 AM

Is it just me but has anyone experienced people heading straight towards you when you are on the other side of the road? I mean complete strangers who have the whole blinking road to cross. They seem to cross diagonally towards me when I'm walking the dog. This has happened again and again. I think people see another soul and gravitate physically like a magnet. it becomes really sinister when you hear them cough in a gravelly manner.

I have a theory that the level of condensation in the air makes a difference to the transmission of this nasty bug. So I don't want to get up close and personal with anyone outdoors right now. The vaccine is around the corner after all.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 07:37 AM

Sometimes you have to do a Johnny Weissmuller.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 09:19 AM

Everyone chats where I live....its rare to pass a person without an hello or how you doing people observe distancing though....there are often circles of people on the green chatting.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Everyone chats where I live....its rare to pass a person without an hello or how you doing people observe distancing though....there are often circles of people on the green chatting.
I have seen people chatting but most of them make sure there is a few feet between them. Wearing masks tends to make people appear unfriendly, because you cannot see their smile. The dog walkers, that I often see, always raise a hand to say hello & I am finding that a wave is just as nice as a smile!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Went for a short walk - well, a mile anyway - to the local Spar as I had run out of potatoes and Sainsbury's aren't due until Friday. Was watching people in the streets there and back.

People who would normally stop and chat or, at least, say 'Hello' were leaping into doorways and onto drives to avoid each other.

While I appreciate the reasons and know we all have a duty to keep ourselves and others safe from the plague - it just made me feel very sad!

Awww, you poor love ST. It is so sad isn't it?

I do say hello to anyone I know on my one single walk each day with HWMO and the pooches, while keeping more than the recommended distance from others of course.
It costs absolutely nothing to smile at others if they happen to look your way whilst passing each other though.

Life is very bleak at this time and as another poster said, most people are scared of unseen or unwanted contact with others, and quickly move when they see others coming into their personal space.

It sounds too as though you are a very extrovert and perhaps even tactile person in normal times ST, so you would no doubt notice and feel it more when people who would normally be friendly and sociable on your walk, now act with suspicion and avoidance towards you. Just know it's not you, it's this horrible time we are all going through.

I live in a terraced property. my next door neighbours' front door is right next to ours, although we all have porches we could still hold hands !! Normally, if we came out at the same time we would spend at least 15 minutes chatting before going on our respective ways, but these days if I or they find our doors opening at the same time we treat it as though one or the other has the plague!! Guaranteed, one of us will quickly close our door again and wait for the other to go on their way first before venturing out again. It's horrible but I'm afraid that is the way it is at present.

Sending you a warm hug anyway ST.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 09:59 AM

I think people exercising exhale more air and with more force and so need more distance around them. When bike riding or fast walking, I try to give people as much distance as possible.

I don't care if people think I'm being over-cautions but wear a mask when I ride my bike in populated areas. The bit of road cyclists use is only a few feet (if that) away from people on footpaths. Most pedestrians around here don't wear masks so I wear one for my own and their protection.

I wear a mask when walking on one particular footpath that is only wide enough for one person and a dog. Distancing involves going out into the road. That's not always possible if cars are driving by. Nobody else takes this virus seriously enough to wear a mask as they squeeze by each other. The mask is taken off for walking in open areas but I keep a distance away from other people.

None of this prevents me from saying hello or passing a few words about the weather.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Awww, you poor love ST. It is so sad isn't it?

I do say hello to anyone I know on my one single walk each day with HWMO and the pooches, while keeping more than the recommended distance from others of course.
It costs absolutely nothing to smile at others if they happen to look your way whilst passing each other though.

Life is very bleak at this time and as another poster said, most people are scared of unseen or unwanted contact with others, and quickly move when they see others coming into their personal space.

It sounds too as though you are a very extrovert and perhaps even tactile person in normal times ST, so you would no doubt notice and feel it more when people who would normally be friendly and sociable on your walk, now act with suspicion and avoidance towards you. Just know it's not you, it's this horrible time we are all going through.

I live in a terraced property. my next door neighbours' front door is right next to ours, although we all have porches we could still hold hands !! Normally, if we came out at the same time we would spend at least 15 minutes chatting before going on our respective ways, but these days if I or they find our doors opening at the same time we treat it as though one or the other has the plague!! Guaranteed, one of us will quickly close our door again and wait for the other to go on their way first before venturing out again. It's horrible but I'm afraid that is the way it is at present.

Sending you a warm hug anyway ST.
How lovely - much appreciated.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I reckon Tabby's on the right lines when she suggested it might be your short shorts, Foxy.
Have you noticed if it is mainly ladies?
If so, they probably afraid they won't be able to control their overwhelming passion if they get too close.
That must be it Mups, they are taken 'Aback' when they see a seventy year old bloke with skinny legs, baggy shorts, and gasping for breath, come lumbering at them out of the fog....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top