Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:38 PM

Re: road charge

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I purposely bought my Qashqai because one of the benefits was the £30 a year tax (a big saving on my C-RV which used to cost me £265 per year). Now they want to charge me per mile which will no doubt work out a lot more.
After test driving quite a few vehicles it was no contest once I sat in the Qashqai Longdogs, outstanding comfort and plenty of grunt from the two litre diesel. And I could get my bike in the back.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
After test driving quite a few vehicles it was no contest once I sat in the Qashqai Longdogs, outstanding comfort and plenty of grunt from the two litre diesel. And I could get my bike in the back.....
TBH Foxy, my 1.6 diesel is faster and nippier than my 2Lt CR-V- Lighter I suppose, so I can imagine that the 2Lt is like the proverbial **** off a shovel.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:44 PM

You don't live in the land of money grabbing b*stards like do Bruce.
I wish that was true.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I wish that was true.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Funny thing is that I am pretty sure the Qashqai is only available with a 2litre petrol engine here, people don't like diesel engines in cars so they really only appear in utes and work vehicles.

Diesel engined cars never really caught on here as they did in Europe, they are a comparative rarity.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:55 PM

TBH Foxy, my 1.6 diesel is faster and nippier than my 2Lt CR-V- Lighter I suppose, so I can imagine that the 2Lt is like the proverbial **** off a shovel.
I test drove the 1.6 Qashqai Longdogs, and I was very impressed, but I wondered how it would manage on a hill with four people and a boot full of luggage?
My van was 2 litre so I was reluctant to drop down.
How does yours perform on the hills with a full load?
I don't think I will be able to buy a new 2 litre diesel next time so I might have to settle for the 1.6L and it will probably be my last motor.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-11-2020, 10:56 PM

Funny thing is that I am pretty sure the Qashqai is only available with a 2litre petrol engine here, people don't like diesel engines in cars so they really only appear in utes and work vehicles.
Are there any hills in Aus? The diesel is great for getting around Devon. Great torque.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

16-11-2020, 11:01 PM

Diesel engined cars never really caught on here as they did in Europe.
My two vans were the first diesels I ever drove Bruce, up until then I had only drove petrol engines. I was very impressed with the diesels, especially the cheaper and easier servicing (did my own servicing) and the fact that both vans managed over 300,000 miles and were still going strong when I sold them. I would have kept the van (very useful) but with only two seats I couldn't carry passengers.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

16-11-2020, 11:58 PM

Are there any hills in Aus? The diesel is great for getting around Devon. Great torque.
Yes but also we tend to put much bigger engines in cars, Holden Commodores (a family car) for example came with a choice of a 3.5 litre V6 or a 8 litre V8 petrol engine

I understand that my car in the UK only has a 2.2litre diesel available

To leave Wollongong you have to get over the escarpment and a very steep hill. You don't see the traffic slowing on the freeway as it climbs Mt Ousley at 80kph as I observed in the UK. This hill has a truck lane where trucks are limited to 40kph coming down because it is so steep. There are two emergency arrester beds on the descent.

or traffic cam here:

https://www.livetraffic.com/traffic-...rway-mt-ousley
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:19 AM

I work as a locum so I am often at different sites. Frequently covering over a hundred miles a day.
Public transport is not a viable option due to cost and adding between four and six hours to the working day.
If I and my colleagues are priced off the road then there would be no cover for essential services.

I currently drive a fifteen year old dirty diesel because I get fifty miles to the gallon and good performance.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top