Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 04:44 PM

Backbenchers reject !!

Backbench Tories have rejected proposals to set up a loan scheme
for the innocent victims of the aftermath of Grenfell to get the cladding removed from their homes?
The only thing lve got against the scheme is the idea that they are
in any way liable for this con trick??

Donkeyman! 👎👎👎
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 04:56 PM

Re: Backbenchers reject !!

I think more builders should be made responsible for cladding on purchased houses or flats in particular .

If I buy a house or flat it is up to me to do research and due diligence on the property, it wouldn't occur to me to expect other tax payers to foot the bill if there was a problem after purchase .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 05:08 PM

I agree to an extent Meg, but the purchasers have no reason to question the safety of construction materials used surely?

It seems to me that as long as the builders met the specifications as laid down by Building Regulations then the onus surely must be either on the manufacturers if the product was sub standard, the builders if the installation was faulty, or the local authority (taxpayers) if the Building Regulations specifications were wrong.

In whatever instance the occupiers of these premises are just the innocent victims and should be regarded as such, with the government providing indemnity until such times as the real culprits are brought to book. In truth whether the manufacturer, builder, or local authority are found to be at fault then their indemnity insurance should be invoked, which should cover the majority of the losses.... in theory...
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 05:27 PM

According to my friend who is a builder, the cladding when it was all installed was never labelled as flammable so nobody knew until Grenfell happened.

Hence, the problem of who pays.

My 2c is that the government should pay 80% (or something like that) of the costs to put right the cladding provided its done before a specified date, such as 2023 etc.

That way it will get done, no loans and no builders ripping people off. If its checked by building inspectors and classified as safe before the builders get paid then it should all be good.

We just spend 300 billion on Covid relief, another 1 billion or whatever won't make much difference in the broad scheme of things. At least people will be safe and be able to get on with their lives.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Backbench Tories have rejected proposals to set up a loan scheme
for the innocent victims of the aftermath of Grenfell to get the cladding removed from their homes?
The only thing lve got against the scheme is the idea that they are
in any way liable for this con trick??

Donkeyman! 👎👎👎
WHAT con trick?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I agree to an extent Meg, but the purchasers have no reason to question the safety of construction materials used surely?

It seems to me that as long as the builders met the specifications as laid down by Building Regulations then the onus surely must be either on the manufacturers if the product was sub standard, the builders if the installation was faulty, or the local authority (taxpayers) if the Building Regulations specifications were wrong.

In whatever instance the occupiers of these premises are just the innocent victims and should be regarded as such, with the government providing indemnity until such times as the real culprits are brought to book. In truth whether the manufacturer, builder, or local authority are found to be at fault then their indemnity insurance should be invoked, which should cover the majority of the losses.... in theory...
That is the most sensible post l have read concerning this cladding
scandal Barry!!
Why it was necessary to go through. a 3yr inquiry l will never know ??
And still no guarantee that justice will be served??

Donkeyman! 👎👎👎
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

08-02-2021, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
According to my friend who is a builder, the cladding when it was all installed was never labelled as flammable so nobody knew until Grenfell happened.

Hence, the problem of who pays.

My 2c is that the government should pay 80% (or something like that) of the costs to put right the cladding provided its done before a specified date, such as 2023 etc.

That way it will get done, no loans and no builders ripping people off. If its checked by building inspectors and classified as safe before the builders get paid then it should all be good.

We just spend 300 billion on Covid relief, another 1 billion or whatever won't make much difference in the broad scheme of things. At least people will be safe and be able to get on with their lives.
Yours is the second most sensible post Bread, but l think Barrie's
thoughts cover more options and will protect the tenants more ??

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

08-02-2021, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
WHAT con trick?
Perhaps l should say ATTEMPTED CON trick Todger??
Trying to lend the tenants the money to get them to agree to pay for
something the are in no way responsible for of course ??
Very sneaky, and the culprits have managed to off load their liability
onto the government to boot!!!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->

Hi Barry I thought building regulations were very strict , they certainly were here when my son built his house 4 years and every little thing seemed to be was checked and queried.
Perhaps private builds are subject to stricter scrutiny that projects carried out by large building companies , if so that shouldn't be the case .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Perhaps l should say ATTEMPTED CON trick Todger??
Trying to lend the tenants the money to get them to agree to pay for
something the are in no way responsible for of course ??
Very sneaky, and the culprits have managed to off load their liability
onto the government to boot!!!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
No. Not even an attempted con trick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top