OMG! Was I shamed on Thursday. We had arranged for a Gas Safety Engineer to come and do his usual yearly safety check with the cooker, pipes, meters, boiler etc, Part of the check involves checking the Gas Coal Effect Fire that we have in the front room, Although we have central heating we do like to have the fire on in these chillier evenings as a nice focal feature, so although we have carbon monoxide warning system, we still like to have it fully checked for safety.
I digress. Now, I don't know about you but if ANYONE is coming into my home I have to ensure that it is spotless. (I am a Virgo and we are renowned for being perfectionists). So, for two hours before his appointed visit, there was I going through every single room ensuring everything was spotless, After I had finished (even swapping my scrupulously bleached white dishcloth with a new one) just in case he was one of those who judged people by their cleanliness standard! I know, I know.
Anyway, with cushions all plumped up neatly with a final spray of Fabreeze, I welcomed the Gas Fitter into our home to do his checks, thinking to myself - ''I dare you to find anything wrong, (if you remember from my previous posts, HWMO was a Fire Safety/Risk Assessment officer before retiring).
The Gas safety chap did his checks throughout the house and then sat at the kitchen table filling out the safety certificate keeping a safe distance while chatting to HWMO about work etc. '' Everything okay then?'' I confidently asked him as he got up to leave. ''Yes, fine'' he said, but I do recommend that you put the hoover under the fire as there seems to be quite a lot of dust buildup in there''
Aarrgghh! to me that was like saying my house was dirty!!! I was mortified! It was the only place that I had forgotten to hoover. I can't even remember the last time I got down on my knees with my face parallel to the floor while I stuck the hoover into that dark black crevice where the pipes live under the fire. Isn't it stupid? Of course, in my mind it wasn't MY fault, HWMO used to be fire risk assessment? fire safety? why didn't he remind me to check under there? Of course again, that was just an excuse for my red faced guilt!! The moment he left, out came the hoover and I did just that, but it was tooooooo late. I was even tempted to take a photo on my phone and send it to him in the hope he would reply and say Well Done!
HWMO is convinced I am doolally but I can't help it, I am not so house-proud that someone dare not wear their shoes indoors, but no-one surely likes to hear criticism over cleanliness (cos that is what it felt like even if he didn't see it that way) You must know what I mean.
Oh well, there you have it. At least I will never forget to do under there again. I wouldn't mind but several times a year I remove the grate to clean and polish the brass, still didn't dawn on me to use the hoover first before replacing it though! DOH!
Has there ever been a moment in your life where you felt shamed over something? Not a nice feeling.