Join for free
sawdust
New Member!
Hampshire, uk.
sawdust is male 

08-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Winter is just around the corner

We have 17 hanging baskets, just emptied 4, we have decided not to keep the old compost this year but I have put it around the councils plants that are near by, it looks good stuff and hoping it will be good for there bushes.
Next on my list will be to get rid of the toms from the greenhouse, next year I'm going to grow pea's in there.
I also will buy new wall brackets as 3 are going rusty and have seen better days.
What have you been up to in your garden, have you any plans for next year, what would you grow differently.
I would add a picture but have not mastered that yet.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 08:54 PM

Re: Winter is just around the corner

17 baskets Reggie that's a lot.

I have put my garden to bed for the winter, plants and shrubs have been cut back and winter bedding planted.
The garlic has been planted too and should be up soon.

I only have a small garden and a couple of raised beds and I am not planning any changes.
The runner beans were exceptional this year , I think the whole village had some of my crop . I always grow 'Aintree' they crop well and have a lovely flavour.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by sawdust ->
We have 17 hanging baskets, just emptied 4, we have decided not to keep the old compost this year but I have put it around the councils plants that are near by, it looks good stuff and hoping it will be good for there bushes.
Next on my list will be to get rid of the toms from the greenhouse, next year I'm going to grow pea's in there.
I also will buy new wall brackets as 3 are going rusty and have seen better days.
What have you been up to in your garden, have you any plans for next year, what would you grow differently.
I would add a picture but have not mastered that yet.
The remainder of the tomatoes have been turned into tomato sauce, I am reading my plant catalogues, but I will stick with buying a grafted tomato called Shirley which exceeded my expectations and a grafted mini cucumber.
I am still growing beetroot which will survive the winter. All my used compost goes into the borders and veg beds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 12:34 AM

I've started cutting my roses down, but quite a few are still in flower yet.
My dahlias are still covered in flowers and more buds too.

I've cleared one bed and planted about 80 Sweet Williams for next spring, along with a few of those Cineraria silver dust plants.

Still lots to do, though a little early to start bubble wrapping pots just yet.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 03:22 PM

Lawns cut for the last time, I hope!!! Taking my baskets down and clearing them along with my pots but not planted anything for the winter as yet apart from a wall basket of pansies.
My witch hazel is in bud so I'll move it where we can see it. Been busy clearing the garage and painting the floor - keep the dust down - when dry will paint the door.... It's all go!!...
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 10:18 AM

EMptied most of the pots and baskets, plus the logs that I have cut the middle out to make a planter. Also made a complete two foot hight round planter out of the bark off a log, it just peeled off then i fastened it together , it looks great. Most of the other thinks will do when we get back. Veg beds have been dug over , need to cut back all the currant bushes and gooseberry ones.
Toms are in the greenhouse , but I doubt that we are going to get many to ripen now. Need to clean the greenhouses out now ready for about Feb when we can put the seedlings in with some heat.
Many projects to start before the ground just gets impossible to dig and also before the snow comes
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 10:24 AM

Been planting bulbs over the weekend and emptied the troughs we had along the decking, bought some new big wooden planters and have filled them with bulbs and wall flowers for spring.

Was going to cut grass but it rained so was too wet so hope to do that next weekend.

Only three more weekends before site closes so it's a race against time to get everything winter ready now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top