Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 01:29 PM

Re: What Do You Record Your Television Programmes On?

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Floydy, try richer sounds, I think there’s one in Hull, they usually give good advice, you could treat your mrs to a new tv, and she could use the catch up services, I also think that you can get scart to hdmi cables but not sure, of course google is your friend in these cases..
Yes, they are very good, Primus. I've had music systems from them and they are experts. I have lots of options now.

I've had a word with Mrs. Floyd and she now wants to wait until October when we can afford a whole new package more comfortably. It's her call, my money (as usual), and if she's happy (which she won't be) doing without recording any programmes for the next six months, so be it. I'm okay with my Smart TV in the other room lol!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Floydy, try richer sounds, I think there’s one in Hull, they usually give good advice, you could treat your mrs to a new tv, and she could use the catch up services, I also think that you can get scart to hdmi cables but not sure, of course google is your friend in these cases..
Yes, I believe that Richer Sounds is also a very good and reliable retailer.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Yes, they are very good, Primus. I've had music systems from them and they are experts. I have lots of options now.

I've had a word with Mrs. Floyd and she now wants to wait until October when we can afford a whole new package more comfortably. It's her call, my money (as usual), and if she's happy (which she won't be) doing without recording any programmes for the next six months, so be it. I'm okay with my Smart TV in the other room lol!
Ha, you say that now mate, wait till she decides to start watching your tv...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 01:38 PM

Ha, you say that now mate, wait till she decides to start watching your tv...
She won't because it's digital-only, I don't have an aerial linked to it. It's solely for watching DVDs and BBC iPlayer on it, no terrestrial TV. It does have other stuff like Google and YouTube which I'm not bothered with on a TV.
I have very little time anyway as I work nights.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 05:48 PM

Update to this thread...

I have cancelled my SkyQ subscription today as Sky are putting my subscription up by an extra £7 a month when my contract finishes next month.

It means, l have to return the SkyQ box and will have nothing to record on, so l need to buy a recorder.
They fitted a new SkyQ dish, so l cannot use my previous Sky+ box unless l have an LNB fitted to the dish.

Many of you recommended a Humax digital recorder when l started this thread in April 2019.
Do your recommendations for a digital recorder at that time, still stand?
I see there is a Humax 5000t out now.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Many of you recommended a Humax digital recorder when l started this thread in April 2019.
The best set-top boxes 2020: the top PVRs to enhance your TV

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-set-top-box

Humax is one of the main names in the world of PVRs, and the FVP-5000T is the best set-top box you can buy right now. Put this nifty device under your TV and you have one of the best hubs for home entertainment money can buy.

There are three models to choose from. The entry-level model has a 500GB hard drive, but there are 1TB and 2TB versions if that is just not enough for your TV habit.

A multi-tuner array lets you record up to four programmes (or matches) at once and the 2TB Humax FVP-5000T can store a massive 500 hours of HD content. Or 1000 at SD quality.

The Humax Live TV app for iOS and Android also lets you set recordings using your phone, and even stream TV to it directly.

As it uses Freeview Play, the Humax FVP-5000T lets you access all the major UK catch-up services, as well as Netflix and YouTube.
There are other, equally positive, reviews available and it's not expensive.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The best set-top boxes 2020: the top PVRs to enhance your TV

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-set-top-box

There are other, equally positive, reviews available and it's not expensive.
Thank You, Omah.
Apologies, if l asked this in my previous posts but can l use it with my dinosaur Panasonic Plasma television.
Another thick question... l don’t need a receiver dish for it. Do l?
Can it be run off the WiFi signal without using a wired Ethernet connection?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 07:09 PM

Update to this thread...

I have cancelled my SkyQ subscription today as Sky are putting my subscription up by an extra £7 a month when my contract finishes next month.

It means, l have to return the SkyQ box and will have nothing to record on, so l need to buy a recorder.
They fitted a new SkyQ dish, so l cannot use my previous Sky+ box unless l have an LNB fitted to the dish.

It depends.
Where will you access your signals? TV aerial, satellite, internet?

If TV aerial, I agree that a PVR like the Humax would be best. We still have one, but no longer use it. We also have a Panasonic unit which, in addition to recording programmes, can copy recordings to DVDs and BDs for permanent storage. I did that for many films I want to keep for ever. However, the Panasonic units are far more expensive: c.£400+

If satellite, I'm not sure as I don't use one, but I imagine there would be similar recorders to the above which would work. Perhaps someone else with satellite could advise better than I.

If internet, I may have mentioned that we bought a FireStick which picks up signals from our broadband router (WiFi)*. It's a small unit (about £40) which plugs into the back of the TV (an HDMI port) and provides programmes/films from many sources. The big advantage to us is we don't need a TV licence for it. However, it doesn't record programmes as such, probably because they are already there at all times for you to watch whenever you want!

*No. (Just seen your last post). It doesn't need a wired connection to the router.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2020, 08:05 PM

Thank You, Omah.
Apologies, if l asked this in my previous posts but can l use it with my dinosaur Panasonic Plasma television.
Another thick question... l don’t need a receiver dish for it. Do l?
Can it be run off the WiFi signal without using a wired Ethernet connection?
AFAIK, the Humax will work with most TVs

No dish is required

5000T Key Features:
• Pause, Rewind & Record live TV
• Record 4 programmes whilst watching a 5th
• Store up to 1000 hours of recordings
Built-in Wi-Fi
• Dedicated smart app
• Play your own media back via USB or network share
• Access multi-room tv when paired with the H3 Smart Media Player

The unit should, literally be plug,'n'play - aerial in/aerial out - HDMI cable to TV - Ethernet cable to unit (optional) - power on/setup
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-08-2020, 09:03 PM

I feel quite sad tonight as l have been with Sky since the early1980’s but these days, loyalty stands for nothing and they just increase their prices for damn all in return.

I cancelled mainly because they have put my subscription up by nearly double....but now things are easing re. lockdown, l am not watching so much television.

It’s the recording facility l want mostly.

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top