Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:14 PM

Buying Plants Online

Does anyone buy plants on the Internet?
I had a bad experience with some that arrived rotting and useless, so loathe to try again but...

I'm searching for a rose I had some years ago, it's called Rosa Banksiae Lutea, a tiny thornless yellow climber. They had one in Monkton Elm Garden Centre near Taunton where I went for my birthday treat, it was expensive, I wish I'd got it now!

I found Thompson and Morgan do them but are out of stock.
Does anyone have a reliable supplier of plants?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:22 PM

Re: Buying Plants Online

In the past, I've never found postal delivery of plants to be much good.

That includes Thompson and Morgan, amongst others.

I don't think you can beat a good, local garden centre, where they know the local soils and can advise.

Sometimes the plant you want isn't the best for the local conditions, at least not without a lot of environmental tweaking.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:25 PM

Our locals are not brilliant Pyxell.
I think this rose will be ok, I've grown it in a few gardens and it does well.
It's my favourite as I also had it in my S.African garden.

I've got a hospital appointment soon in Taunton, but, wasband is taking me and I know he won't let me pop in the garden centre
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:28 PM

I have bought plants online, Thompson and Morgan were dreadful . Crocus was poor too.

Good results from Ken Muir strawberries and raspberries and Lavender world.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:30 PM

I spent over £30 buying 3 house plants online. They came eventually but to be honest it took so long to get them I had written them off as a loss.

They were very poor plants and have since died.
Bee
Essex
Bee is female 

16-06-2019, 07:06 AM

I have never had a problem with buying plants on line but the following one is where I usually buy from and have always been very pleased with both the delivery time and plants.

https://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

16-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Thanks, folks, I'll have a look at that one Bee.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Suttons Seeds were good. The website tells you when the plants are due to be available (before you buy). The plant was in a good condition and looks like it's taken well to the soil.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 10:01 AM

What I have found with buying plants online is that they take a while to get going. I bought some pond plants, sort of a creeping Jenny. the first year it was so small, I thought I had wasted my money but this year it has excelled itself and covers half the pond surface which was the idea.

Perhaps it is because they are normally sold bare root.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 10:10 AM

Tess, have a look at this link.
It is from the RHS plant finder and they list 43 suppliers of your rose.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search...nksiae%20Lutea

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top