Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:30 PM

Re: Sick & Disabled unfairly treated

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
You obviously have no idea of this appalling system and/or it works.
Perhaps reading this part below again might give you a clearer idea of what some people are up against with the DWP .

Terminally ill people are having to fight for disability benefits, with some being denied special fast-track benefits altogether under a system said to be “truly barbaric”.

Son Forced To Use Student Loan To Pay For Dead Mum’s Funeral

For one family in Belfast the grief of losing their mother was compounded by serious financial troubles following her death as a result of delays in benefits payments.

Mother-of-three Carol Doonan, described as “the most selfless woman” by her family, was just 55 when she died from cancer in April 2018 - only a month after being diagnosed.

In the final weeks of her life, when she was seriously ill, she was unable to access benefits. Despite Macmillan Cancer Support helping the family to fast-track Carol’s application for the disability benefit Personal Independence Payment (PIP), it did not come quickly enough.

“They wanted to come and interview her and speak to her on the phone, but mum could barely lift her arm,” said her son Kevin Doonan. “I didn’t want her to deal with anything. I remember they rang to speak to my mum but I told them she was basically unconscious. They asked me to wake her up. It was a terrible, terrible experience. They asked her questions like why she didn’t know she had cancer.”

Her son, a student at Ulster University, was forced to use his student loan to cover the cost of his mother’s funeral after she was diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer, because her PIP disability benefits were delayed.
No I don't but I can see they have to make some checks can't just hand out dosh at the drop of a hat .

And I don't mean to be hard hearted but what is her family doing ?
They are not little children but adults
The son ( who is 30 years old ) and her husband ( 50 years ) and daughter 21 years .
Don't they work can't they afford any funeral .
A very basic funeral no service costs about around £800+
FGS carrying on as if they are infants about to be taken to the poor house .
It's terribly sad they have lost their mother but surely the entire family didnt live off her disability allowances ?
If you can't afford to pay for a funeral the local authority will have to pay but there is help available .

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...e-funeral-cost
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I beg to differ but then being experienced in dealing with those unfairly being denied benefits they’re entitled to and the ensuing traumatic process following this I would wouldn’t I ?
We wouldnt know would we ?
Anyone can say anything on here.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Actually the USSR ceased to exist in 1990 (ish) and has been replaced by the Russian Federation, a VERY much different animal indeed.

I visited the USSR once in connection with my work in the mid 80's. Only for ten days and while the people that I met were great things otherwise were a bit grim. That was in Leningrad - today's St Petersburg.

We've been to visit since to attend funerals and once a wedding and the whole country is unrecognisable! So much better than the MSM presents it as being.
Agree AT. My brother's fiancee, a Music Teacher, lives in the St Petersbourg area and sends lots of videos when out with her family. It really is a fabulous thriving and modern city now. Their Parks, Railway Stations and Shopping Malls are a sight to behold. Absolutely beautiful with every modcon you could imagine. They really put ours to shame.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Their mother is dying with one month to live and they are moaning about her disalbility payments ?
It truly is unbelievable! I remember when my poor old dad was terminally ill with Lung Cancer in the early nineties and we applied for a benefit for the same. It went through with no trouble at all, no hassle, no invasive actions, just paid to him for precisely what was intended for.

How times have changed since then. Very sad, and so so wrong. Where has compassion and understanding gone?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
It truly is unbelievable! I remember when my poor old dad was terminally ill with Lung Cancer in the early nineties and we applied for a benefit for the same. It went through with no trouble at all, no hassle, no invasive actions, just paid to him for precisely what was intended for.

How times have changed since then. Very sad, and so so wrong. Where has compassion and understanding gone?
The poor woman was only diagnosed four weeks before her death .
Surely her disability payments were for her benefit ?
In four weeks there is not much money can do anyway .
I mean does no one take responsibility for their own ?
That seems wrong to me .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 01:02 PM

Just pause and think how the population of the UK has changed and the %age of blatant dishonesty that is found in the "New British". The checks now have to be taken.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

21-06-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Just pause and think how the population of the UK has changed and the %age of blatant dishonesty that is found in the "New British". The checks now have to be taken.
h

You are probably right AT. It surely must be something to do with work overload with the huge rise in the population. I cannot possibly think what other reason could be justified for such terrible treatment of that poor woman.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 01:10 PM

It was so much easier then, my ex had his first stroke in the early 90s and the CAB helped me fill out the form properly as I was in a bit of a state over things and couldn't keep my mind in gear. Anyway I enclosed a letter from the Doctor it went through quickly. All the real hassle started when Ian Duncan Smith decided to let loose on the system. The DHSS had their own Doctors who would examine you if they wanted proof of anything, the assessment is now done by outsiders who have (I believe) been told to refuse as many as possible in the hopes it will save money as people may just accept the decision. This PIP has been hassle from the first day it was started, causing all sorts of misery and heartache.
YES, I know there are those who will chance their hand and try to get it, but they are easily enough weeded out at the assessment interview. It's the way you are treated now by this ATOS Crew, they seem to treat everyone as a liar.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2019, 02:02 PM

But what could the benefits people do?
They must follow some procedure .
And the family got the money in the end .
The family .
Not the poor woman who died .

As a adult I would be ashamed to gripe about benefits when my mother was dying .
So he used his student loan so what ?

It was HIS Mother .

Really how much is the nanny state supposed to do ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2019, 02:10 PM

h

You are probably right AT. It surely must be something to do with work overload with the huge rise in the population. I cannot possibly think what other reason could be justified for such terrible treatment of that poor woman.
But Shrops what terrible treatment ?
She had Marie Curie nurses with her she didn't die unattended
In this case would four weeks PIP benefit have helped ?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top