Join for free
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 07:05 AM

Re: Lining Up For The Race, We Have.....

Well quite some time ago I came to the conclusion that universal suffrage was a bad thing. Instead in order to be allowed to have a say in the direction that government should take some form of test should be in place that when passed would result in a voting license.

Nothing particularly complicated, just successfully complete a short education thing to explain the facts of Right Wing and Left Wing politics so that people could then make informed decisions.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Well quite some time ago I came to the conclusion that universal suffrage was a bad thing. Instead in order to be allowed to have a say in the direction that government should take some form of test should be in place that when passed would result in a voting license.

Nothing particularly complicated, just successfully complete a short education thing to explain the facts of Right Wing and Left Wing politics so that people could then make informed decisions.
Certainly, education is important in order that people don't vote for 'X' just because 'that's who their dad voted for'. Unfortunately, many people are ineducable!

I think a more important change could be to make parliamentary terms shorter. Perhaps there could be a 'review' period of, say, one year in which the elected party must show that they are actually implementing what they promised to do in their manifesto.
If they fail to do so, the electorate should be allowed to reconsider their votes.
That would make politicians think again before overtly lying in order to persuade people to elect them.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If they fail to do so, the electorate should be allowed to reconsider their votes.
That would make politicians think again before overtly lying in order to persuade people to elect them.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...aim-on-no-deal

Does this make boris a liar, or just plain stupid. Or may be he is a politician economically with the truth?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
https://www.theguardian.com/business...aim-on-no-deal

Does this make boris a liar, or just plain stupid. Or may be he is a politician economically with the truth?
A liar? That depends on the definition of liar, but stupid?

No 'effin way!

Nobody who wants us to escape from the profoundly undemocratic and corrupt EU could be considered stupid!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:23 PM

Your suggestion brought to mind the boxset series I am currently watching on BBC IPlayer, with the obnoxious Emma Thompson, called "Years and Years". My God, what an eye-opener! Well worth a look.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 12:44 PM

A liar? That depends on the definition of liar, but stupid?

No 'effin way!

Nobody who wants us to escape from the profoundly undemocratic and corrupt EU could be considered stupid!
In my opinion boris is heading for a "no deal" at the end of October simply because there are not enough British politicians with the good sense and the courage to stop it. I also believe that "no deal" will be extremely damaging economically to both the EU and to the UK but that the UK will bear the brunt of this. I do not forget either that damage will be caused is so many other areas apart from economics. My question is how will all this affect attitudes in Europe and within the UK?
In Europe: many EU citizens are already exasperated by the UK’s actions. Will this be translated into anger and hostility when people start losing jobs as a result of Brexit? Will Europeans come to see Brexit as a hostile act?
In the UK: My guess is that Brexiters will very briefly celebrate their independence only to be confronted in very short order with severe economic disruption. Will they (1) admit that they made a mistake? (2) blame the EU? (3) blame remainers for sabotaging their beautiful project? My guess is (2) and (3). How will people react when, having fought so long for something they finally get and then realise that almost everything they just dismissed as "project fear" is project reality. It will really be like smashing their heads into a brick wall but will they blame their heads or the wall.
Remainers are going to be mightily angry. Will they (1) try to make a success of Brexit or (2) lash out at Brexiters. My guess is (2) A UK friend recently told me that "we need to find a way to bring the country back together" but despaired of a solution. Personally I don’t see anyway the UK will avoid entrenched division. Do you?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Methinks you have a secret longing forexactly that to happen in the event of us leaving without a deal. A case of win win for you. All for the sake that you may sit in your computer chair and crow about how right you and all the Remainers were.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

The intransigent cretins at the EU, along with every single Brexit destroying treacherous MPs here, can go to hell.
(I feel better already)

What will be, will be. For the past 3-years the UK has bent over backwards to reach a negotiated settlement, only to be met with a perfect plan of unnecessary utter humiliation towards this country. (Something, for which will eventually backfire badly on them).

So, whatever is to come from our utter desperation to leave your corrupt organisation, and whatever happens on 31 October, we will have to take it on the chin, and so will the EU, and we will both have to prevail.

The EU will only have itself to blame. We did not vote to leave with the intention that we would have to fight tooth and nail with both the EU and within our own Parliament in order to do so. Blame the EU for that.

As long as we leave, that is the main aim. We will no doubt hurt to begin with, but there will always be a light at the end of the tunnel. Whereas the EU's problems are only just beginning, where is your tunnel of light?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
In my opinion boris is heading for a "no deal" at the end of October simply because there are not enough British politicians with the good sense and the courage to stop it. I also believe that "no deal" will be extremely damaging economically to both the EU and to the UK but that the UK will bear the brunt of this. I do not forget either that damage will be caused is so many other areas apart from economics. My question is how will all this affect attitudes in Europe and within the UK?
In Europe: many EU citizens are already exasperated by the UK’s actions. Will this be translated into anger and hostility when people start losing jobs as a result of Brexit? Will Europeans come to see Brexit as a hostile act?
In the UK: My guess is that Brexiters will very briefly celebrate their independence only to be confronted in very short order with severe economic disruption. Will they (1) admit that they made a mistake? (2) blame the EU? (3) blame remainers for sabotaging their beautiful project? My guess is (2) and (3). How will people react when, having fought so long for something they finally get and then realise that almost everything they just dismissed as "project fear" is project reality. It will really be like smashing their heads into a brick wall but will they blame their heads or the wall.
Remainers are going to be mightily angry. Will they (1) try to make a success of Brexit or (2) lash out at Brexiters. My guess is (2) A UK friend recently told me that "we need to find a way to bring the country back together" but despaired of a solution. Personally I don’t see anyway the UK will avoid entrenched division. Do you?

If you think the UK is divided you should look at the EU. Guess who has the biggest national party in the EU Parliament ?

Here is a clue ...

N-G-L F-R-GE

A no deal Brexit is the legal default position in the UK. To overturn that, Parliament would need to change the law.

That's what Parliament voted for - to leave the EU with, or without a deal. But now, it's clear that it wasn't us Brexiteers that didn't know what we were voting for, it was the Parliamentary remainers because they try again and again to reverse and frustrate what they themselves voted for in the first place.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Absolutly disagree. We have compulsory voting, 99% turn out which by your reckoning should lead to the worse government possible yet you are the ones who might end up with Boris Johnson as Prime Minister. Perhaps it is the electoral system that is wrong rather than unqualified voters

Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Absolutly disagree. We have compulsory voting, 99% turn out which by your reckoning should lead to the worse government possible yet you are the ones who might end up with Boris Johnson as Prime Minister. Perhaps it is the electoral system that is wrong rather than unqualified voters

What's Boris Johnson got to do with the "worst government possible" ?

You should take a look at the marxist lying left - they lost the last 2 elections plus the EU referendum. How's that for failure.... ?

Corbyn won't quit though like any other honourable leader who fails.

Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top