Join for free
Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2019, 09:19 AM

Re: Petition by Age UK protesting withdrawal of free TV licences for over 75s

I saw one of those "debates" on youtube once. Two or three bored MPs in a sideroom, don't expect a full house in the main chamber.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I saw one of those "debates" on youtube once. Two or three bored MPs in a sideroom, don't expect a full house in the main chamber.
As bad as that are they, I've never seen one. At least I know what could be expected. I guess it's a case of the government have to be seen to be doing something!

I have in the past read about an instance where something had slightly changed about the subject of the petition so the government could not debate it – what a convenient 'get-out'!
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I heard a suggestion from someone that as with the bus pass those who are over 75 and wish to have a free TV licence could apply for one.

I am on a low income and pride myself on my ability to live on very little and to pay my way. The entertainment I get from my radio not least the ability to have it on low at night to mask my Tinnitus so I can sleep is well worth the £2.96 a week a licence costs so I would not be applying. This would leave more cash available for those worse off than myself.
That's a good idea and would probably work. I don't know how the free bus passes work, whether a fee is paid by the local council when a person gets a free bus pass or whether each journey a holder makes is subsidised.

I could apply for a bus pass but choose not to as I have a car and can drive. It's if ever the day comes when I cannot drive that will be the problem. Bus services in small villages such as where I live are not good – one bus out in the mornings and another back late afternoon / early evening. There's no choice really if you don't drive, other than to use expensive taxis.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 08:49 PM

From The Times

More than half of MPs have claimed for a free television licence at taxpayers’ expense while 3.7m of people over 75 will soon be forced to start paying for one.

More than 320 MPs have claimed £154.50 for a TV licence for their second home or constituency. Since 2010 the bill has reached £323,104 — two thirds of it going to current MPs, according to the figures published by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
As bad as that are they, I've never seen one. At least I know what could be expected. I guess it's a case of the government have to be seen to be doing something!

I have in the past read about an instance where something had slightly changed about the subject of the petition so the government could not debate it – what a convenient 'get-out'!

I've signed a number of petitions.

Invariably, when I receive notification of the government's debate of them, the government's response has been words the effect that they have decided that any changes are 'unnecessary'.

It makes you wonder why we bother.

I'd be much happier if petitions with over a specific number of signatures must legally be accepted and acted upon.

It will never happen, of course. Not in our nominal democracy.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I've signed a number of petitions.

Invariably, when I receive notification of the government's debate of them, the government's response has been words the effect that they have decided that any changes are 'unnecessary'.

I'd be much happier if petitions with over a specific number of signatures must legally be accepted and acted upon.

It will never happen, of course. Not in our nominal democracy.
Because we have to bother even after time and time again till they take notice till they do.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 08:19 AM

It makes me wonder why do we bother, but I know we must.
Those in Westminster live in a world of their own. We mortals are just here to give them their daily bread, wine, and monies for their luxurious to enjoy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Because we have to bother even after time and time again till they take notice till they do.
But there seems to be no sign that they are ever going to take notice. So why bother?

The government will ignore petitions, they will ignore peaceful protests, they will tolerate more troublesome protests and riots with the help of their police.

The only way things will change radically is with a revolution!

Or perhaps if Farage's Brexit Party should be elected to government with a strong working majority...

...and that is entirely up to us, the voters.
Baz46

25-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Yes, I quite agree with you, it just never changes!

Originally Posted by galty ->
But will they ever take notice? Our voting system will never, I don't reckon, be such that they will ever be in a position where they have to take notice of the majority – the electorate.

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
It makes me wonder why do we bother, but I know we must.
Those in Westminster live in a world of their own. We mortals are just here to give them their daily bread, wine, and monies for their luxurious to enjoy.
We really must make our views known whenever and wherever possible. Those in Westminster are not the majority of the electorate so should not have the majority when it comes to decisions that affect the older people of this country, people who have 'done their bit' and worked for years.

The TV signal that goes out over the air is there anyway, why not allow those who are possibly keeping in touch with the world watch for free? Haven't they done their share of working to keep the country going?

The bus that carries passengers with 'free' bus passes is going to take that route anyway so what's wrong with a 'free' bus pass? It costs nothing anyway. If I give my friend a lift to the shops it costs me nothing if I was going there anyway, the same with a bus.

The answer to both the above I believe is 'greed', someone somewhere wants paying for something that could easily be given for free, simple as!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 05:16 PM

Just a quick update on this subject.
I've just had an email from AgeUk and this is an excert from it for you:

" Over 36,000 of your fellow campaigners have written to Jeremy Hunt and Boris Johnson to ask them to stick by their manifesto promise. This is phenomenal! We are planning how to hand your letters in to them both next week in a way that gets the most media attention possible.

Nearly 6000 of you tweeted Hunt and Johnson within the space of 24 hours which meant they got the message loud and clear just how many of us are angry about this. Together we are a real force to be reckoned with.

Our petition has reached over 600,000 signatures and we’re continuing to get stories in the papers every week. We’re also trying to make sure a question is asked about TV licences at all the Conservative leadership hustings."

Thought you might feel this is encouraging news.

Page 5 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top