Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Re: MRI Scan

Mollie - Thanks for the warning of the noises. I'm glad you didn't have a bleed to the brain, what a relief that must have been for you. Good tip about listening to relaxing music beforehand to calm me down. I will find it very hard keeping still.

Janela - Interesting you're Mum had one for a stone in the bile duct. Funny she fell asleep in it I can't imagine that happening to me, unfortunately.

Hazel - Thanks for the information on the noises, I'll be prepared for them.

Meg- Thank you for the link. Good luck with your CT Scan in January, but with that scan you're not completely enclosed as it's like a hole in a doughnut. I would cope with one of them.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 03:06 PM

MickB - Gosh, your poor other half freaking out in the machine, did she not have it done in the end?

Cassie - Maybe I could be sedated as well. I don't do lifts either.

Clumsy - I like the idea of a panic button in my hand as well. Regarding the music, can you take in your own music to play in the machine? Shame your legs went to jelly, I hope mine don't

Bowie Eyes - I like the idea of putting up with the machine comparing it to 13 hours of pain that I get. That's a good comparison.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 03:09 PM

Don't worry about it Alicat we're all telling you about it so we're still alive. It's just that you can't concieve such a loud noise in this day and age of medicine and if no one forewarns you it is very frightening, but you have been warned so imagine the loudest bangs you can, then you'll think well it's not so bad after all.
Alicat
West Berkshire

30-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Please also look at the last two posts.

Thank you All very much that answered my thread. You've all really prepared me for what is to come. I suffer terrible with claustraphobia and I don't do lifts either but I definitely want this scan so I'm sure I'll bear with it. At least I know what to expect now.

I shall take along my favourite Cliff CD and see if they will play that to me as I lay in the machine as that would relax me. I've just got to wait for the appointment to come through, does anyone know how long it takes for appointments for this scan to come through?
Alicat
West Berkshire

30-11-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
Don't worry about it Alicat we're all telling you about it so we're still alive. It's just that you can't concieve such a loud noise in this day and age of medicine and if no one forewarns you it is very frightening, but you have been warned so imagine the loudest bangs you can, then you'll think well it's not so bad after all.
I've had enough loud bangs in my life so I'll know what to expect

Thanks
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 09:37 AM

Alison darlin' - I've had several scans, and like Hazel says am still here to tell you about it. Yes its noisy, lots of bangs, and thumps. Some of it may be like listening to a pneumatic drill right beside your ear, but none of what you hear will harm you in any way.

Alison darlin' I had to be inside this machine so long, that like another on here I too fell asleep. If I and others can do that inside an MRI scanner, it can't be that frioghtening can it???
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 09:48 AM

Hi, yes I had a MRI Scan in 1990 as I have a prolapsed disc. in my spine. You lay down on the couch, they put you under the tunnel, you must stay perfectly still, it is very noisy, lots of clanging and banging, and the person talks to you while you are under there, just to make sure you are alright. There is nothing to worry about at all. I was under there for 3/4 hr.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 11:47 AM

I guess the average time for the scan is around 3/4 hour. I also think that the "not knowing what to expect" is one of the worst things. I presume in UK, as here, you are given an information paper on what to do, not to do and what to expect. I was given the panic button once they had me in the position they wanted me, which involved a bit of moving me about a little as it was my neck, arm and shoulder they were concentrating on (I had a trapped nerve in my neck). I was also given the "photos" from the scan which they marked with a little red dot where the problem was, not that it meant anything to me, the "photos" just look like some kind of modern art, all whirls, but quite pretty. Previous to the scan I had been given a nerve conductivity test. When I asked what that entailed I was told it was like having an ECG but they omitted to tell me I would be wired to a bank of computers and have electrified needles stuck in me. "Will this hurt?" I asked, with a big smile the doctor said "Yes, but it is a nice hurt" Actually it was fine, it didn't hurt at all.

Honestly you will be just fine Alicat, nobody could be a bigger wimp than me but the thinking about what happens is much worse than the actual deed, so don't worry, you'll do just great.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 12:21 PM

My OH had one and the only thing I would add to what has been said already is that his appointment was early afternoon so he had lunch before he went. Halfway through the scan they gave an injection which made him feel very queasy and he struggled to keep his lunch down. So depending on what time the scan is you may choose not to eat beforehand.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2012, 12:36 PM

You are right The Dog Lover. On my information paper it mentioned that if you were having the dye injection you were not to eat or drink beforehand. I don't know much about the dye injection but I know it is given when they are looking for certain things. In my case the dye injection didn't apply. I was told beforehand it wouldn't be needed, but how strange that they gave it to you OH half way through the scan.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top